[SOLVED] DVI-D to VGA converter issues

Hello, I got a bit of a puzzle for you guys.

My wife's PC has a Ryzen 3200G with a Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro motherboard which has HDMI and DVI-D output. Her monitor, a Samsung S27E330H has HDMI and VGA, is connected through HDMI.
I brought her my spare monitor a LG 27MP65HQ which had HDMI and VGA output as well. Since I don't have a DVI cable, I used an adapter that I had which is DVI-D to VGA and paired it with a generic VGA to VGA cable and unfortunately it didn't show any signal.
The monitor works as I connected it through HDMI and it was working fine.

I tried a different cable afterwards, again VGA to VGA, same result. Tried using my laptop that has VGA output to see if the cables were working, and it did work on both monitors.
I thought it was a problem with drivers so I updated to the newest which had no effect.
I tried then the converter to my father's PC which has the exact same LG monitor a very similar LG monitor with a VGA, HDMI and DVI-D outputs, with an i5 3470 and an Asus mobo(can't remember which) that also has HDMI and VGA and he uses the VGA to connect them. Still no signal.

At that moment I thought the converter is faulty so I went to the repair shop where I initially bought it, to buy a new one. While I was there, I asked them to test it, which they did. To my surprise, it worked. Nevertheless, I bought a new one and went straight home to test it, Still no signal.
Back to the shop, they test the new one, you guessed it, it was working there. I was very confused by then so since they were very helpful, I asked them for one more test. I brought them the LG monitor with my VGA cable and when they tried it, it was working!!!!
So, back to home, I install to my wife's PC, my old Nvidia 760 which is artifacting (that's why it was replaced) and still no signal.

Being a very persistent guy, I go to a friend's house to try it to his PC. Not working as well. He tried it to his laptop and voila, the first time that it did work.

I have already bought a new cable DVI-D to HDMI to solve my issue but I am VERY puzzled as to why the converter was working in some and not all PCs/laptops it was used.

If anyone has any idea, please do share it, I would very much like to learn through this.

Solution
DVI has several varients (I, A & D)
1 of which can output analogue VGA signals DVI-I

Two of which. DVI-A is analog only. DVI-I is both analog and digital, Integrated.

I expect in the cases where the VGA screen connected to DVI it was receiving VGA signals from a DVI -I port
The motherboard does not have a DVI-I output.

@dotas1 - Your secondary monitor does not like how your adapter attempts to convert the digital signal from your DVI-D output to an analog signal (VGA). Your best bet would be to get a DVI-D to HDMI cable for your second display,

-Wolf sends
What was the DVI-D to VGA adapter you were using, was it passive or active like the image below?
DZLST-DVI-To-VGA-Converter-HD-1080P-DVI-Male-24-1-Pin-To-VGA-Female-Video.jpg_q50.jpg

It's this one:
dvi_male_245_to_vga_female_connecter1473167078.jpg

I know that the signal needs to be converted from digital to analog but since it did work , I thought that was not an issue.

Edit: It might not be this exact one, as I think this is not DVI-D, but yeah, exactly like this without the pins of DVI-I

Hi

see link to wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

I expect in the cases where the VGA screen connected to DVI it was receiving VGA signals from a DVI -I port

regards
Mike
I know about the multiple variants that's why I checked and each of them were ONLY DVI-D and not any other variant. But even if they were another variant (they were NOT), the converter I own is DVI-D which lacks the extra analog connectors.

Wolfshadw

Titan

Two of which. DVI-A is analog only. DVI-I is both analog and digital, Integrated.

@dotas1 - Your secondary monitor does not like how your adapter attempts to convert the digital signal from your DVI-D output to an analog signal (VGA). Your best bet would be to get a DVI-D to HDMI cable for your second display,

-Wolf sends

Solution

-Wolf sends
Thank you for your answer, I might just need to accept that it just doesn't "like" the conversion done.
As I said in my first post, already bought a cable, waiting for it to arrive.
I have already bought a new cable DVI-D to HDMI to solve my issue