Question DVI-D to VGA converter problem

wachon1992

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
Im using a vga monitor and bought an rx 570. i also bought an Active converter DVI-D to VGA but its not giving me any signal on the monitor.

All is plugged in, gpu light turns on, my psu is 600w Bronce EVGA but still there is nothing on the monitor

This is the converter i bought btw
adaptador-dvi-d-a-vga-activo.jpg

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That's neither an active converter, nor DVI-D to VGA.

That's a DVI-I to VGA adapter. DVI-I carried both digital and analog signals. VGA is analog.

AMDs RX cards dropped analog support - so if you need VGA out, you're going to need an active adapter that'll cost in the ~$20 region.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-VGA-Adapter-Active/dp/B003V4TV8O

What monitor do you have? If it has DVI, DP or HDMI, it's going to be a better option to run one of those instead.

Reactions: DMAN999

wachon1992

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
That's neither an active converter, nor DVI-D to VGA.

That's a DVI-I to VGA adapter. DVI-I carried both digital and analog signals. VGA is analog.

AMDs RX cards dropped analog support - so if you need VGA out, you're going to need an active adapter that'll cost in the ~$20 region.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-VGA-Adapter-Active/dp/B003V4TV8O

What monitor do you have? If it has DVI, DP or HDMI, it's going to be a better option to run one of those instead.
my monitor is old so it has vga only, its 1080p 24 inches so i never changed it.

Regarding the adapter are you sure ? it says DVI D everywhere, also this graph shows how DVI I looks and its not like mine.

HTB1aZEmRpXXXXb4apXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

mine looks like this DVI D dual link
dvi-d-single-dual.jpg

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Dual link is more than just the additional pins. The cable is thicker too. A lot of fakes exist, with the additional pins, but there's no substance behind them.

Obviously I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty confident the adapter you have is passive, and not Dual Link.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your adapter looks correct for the card's output. But active adapters (D/A converters) are sometimes problematic. Especially with old monitors. Might have to keep trying adapters until you get one that works. Or break down and buy an inexpensive digital monitor. They're cheap now, and they look a bit better too.

Reactions: Banned by Net

bignastyid

Titan
Adapter looks correct but it's a model with no external power which I've seen the most compatibility issues with. For DVI-D to VGA I usually recommend the models that use usb to power the converter as some video cards just don't seem to supply enough power through the DVI-D port to run the converter properly.

wachon1992

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
Adapter looks correct but it's a model with no external power which I've seen the most compatibility issues with. For DVI-D to VGA I usually recommend the models that use usb to power the converter as some video cards just don't seem to supply enough power through the DVI-D port to run the converter properly.
something like this ? i might try that, if not i guess im gona have to search for a new monitor and give this one to my brother
conversor-convertidor-activo-dvi-d-24-1-a-vga-ctro-D_NQ_NP_815629-MLA28425471531_102018-O.webp

wachon1992

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
How much will you have spent on adapters when this is all over? have you priced a new digital monitor lately? They have come down quite a bit in price if you stay with FHD and don't go with a huge screen. Example
And the picture will be a bit crisper than VGA. Especially thru an adapter.
Bit late response but i changed this one for a display port to vga, same price so it costed nothing and it worked fine :D

wachon1992

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
Probably a good idea to get a better monitor anyway, a bit silly to get a good video card then have it display on some old screen that won't get you good results.
my screen is decent and still working thats why i dont change it. its 1080p led 24 inch and it looks fine, monitors are expensive here and i was prob gona buy a 22 or 24 inch, not going for less, im alrdy used to this since i used it for like 8 years.