DVI-D vs. HDMI, with specsheet

Bowzaa

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
Hey, been a long time lurker for my pc problems and decided to make an account for this because I found no results on google (aside from many others saying the same thing).

So my boss is convinced that HDMI is the only way to go for the business, and I'll agree there since we use Macbooks and they do not have DVI. However, for personal use, he often jokes about my usage of "ancient DVI-D" cables for my monitor (ASUS VG248QE), however that isn't the point, because that's 144hz.

The reason I'm writing this is to ask what he asked, "Is there any difference in picture quality between HDMI and DVI-D? Until you can convince me me otherwise, with a spec sheet, I'm sticking with HDMI. We're not using gaming monitors so 120hz support or higher is not needed, just good picture quality at 60hz."

I'm curious now for at-home use with other computers I have. Everything I do is hooked up with DVI-D or DisplayPort.

DVI to HDMI adapter wil also carry sound through (depending on GPU). And today it's not really about DVI-D, it's DVI-D Dual Link you'll typically come across. There can't be a difference in picture quality. And to clarify to what has been said above, HDMI 2.0 is the only spec that can do 120 Hz at 1920x1080. On Wikipedia it states it can do 1920x1080 120 Hz from the 1.4 spec, however, they don't mention that it's because of frame packing, meaning 1920x1080 60 Hz x2, it's still only 60 Hz.

Bowzaa

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015

Well, this answers my question, but is there any spec sheet to confirm/deny the claims I've made towards my boss concerning the quality of HDMI vs. DVI? I should also mention that the monitors we use for work have no speakers, so we're only using HDMI because his belief is the picture quality is better (and Macbooks don't have DVI).

Bowzaa

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015

Ah, my bad, I thought I implied dual-link with my monitor being 144hz. Is there any comparison sheet or specification sheet for DVI-D and/or HDMI? I've tried to find some but all I find are words of others and no specification sheet, so he won't take my word for the picture quality.

Bowzaa

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015

While I myself know this (and thanks for confirming), is there any sort of official sheet that says so?

Personally, I'll probably switch to DisplayPort in the near future, but I'm just wanting to be right, so if I'm not, let me know :D