DVI graphics card to DisplayPort monitor - is it possible?

joeschmoe007

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Long story short - I need to connect DVI graphics card to DisplayPort on the monitor. Is it possible?

Seems like this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024608&p_id=6015&seq=1&format=1

should do the job. However description says it is for connecting DVI display to DisplayPort connector on the computer - the other way around. I don't think it makes a difference but I have no experience with DisplayPort technology at all.

CLARIFICATION: graphics card in the computer is dual DVI. I would like to connect one DVI to DisplayPort on one monitor and another DVI to DisplayPort on another monitor.

Does anyone know if it will work?

Solution
That cable will NOT work, it has no electronics in it to convert the signals between standards.

The way that cable would work for one of the 5xxx or 6xxx series cards from AMD is it would indicate to the card to use the DP to DVI converter that is built into the card(there are 2 on the cards) on that output so it would actually be outputting DVI signal down that cable, a DVI port has no controller that can switch it to outputting DP(also not enough pins) so that cable wont work. You will need an active adapter, or you will need to check to see if the monitor supports DVI or HDMI, i would be surprised to see a monitor that only accepted DP as its input.

joeschmoe007

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

I should have mentioned it in original post: graphics card in the computer is dual DVI. I would like to connect one DVI to DisplayPort on one monitor and another DVI to DisplayPort on another monitor.

That cable will NOT work, it has no electronics in it to convert the signals between standards.

The way that cable would work for one of the 5xxx or 6xxx series cards from AMD is it would indicate to the card to use the DP to DVI converter that is built into the card(there are 2 on the cards) on that output so it would actually be outputting DVI signal down that cable, a DVI port has no controller that can switch it to outputting DP(also not enough pins) so that cable wont work. You will need an active adapter, or you will need to check to see if the monitor supports DVI or HDMI, i would be surprised to see a monitor that only accepted DP as its input.

Solution

joeschmoe007

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Hunter is correct, it didn't work