DVI-I to VGA adapter shows no signal

SonicSkywalker

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
I bought a used Gigabyte GTX750Ti 2GB which only have DVI-D, DVI-I, and HDMI port in it, my monitor is VGA only, so I also bought a DVI-I to VGA adapter, but when I use it, it shows no signal to my monitor, any help?

Solution
Another clue the guy in this video is doing it wrong is the use of dvi d cable as was marked on the monitor. Dvi d male can fit into dvi i female plug but dvi i with the flat pin being wider wont fit in a dvi d female plug. So this guy has two dvi d ports and tried to use a dvi-d to vga adapter.

SonicSkywalker

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017

the card works, I was there when the seller tries it.
I'll try it on my hdmi tv, but do I need an active adapter?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't need an active adapter going from Dvi-I to Vga as it has analog pins. Dvi-D to vga does require to be active.

Dvi-D can fit into Dvi-I socket if bought this by mistake. Does your adapter have the 4 pins top and below the dash pin to the right of this picture?

dual-dvi.jpg

SonicSkywalker

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017

yes, it have 24+5 pins
And I saw a few youtube videos having the same problem.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That video doesn't prove anything. Do not know what graphics card or Dvi ports it has and if that monitor auto-detects signal or does it require manual input selection.

It is possible your adapter is faulty. Have you tested the hdmi connection?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Another clue the guy in this video is doing it wrong is the use of dvi d cable as was marked on the monitor. Dvi d male can fit into dvi i female plug but dvi i with the flat pin being wider wont fit in a dvi d female plug. So this guy has two dvi d ports and tried to use a dvi-d to vga adapter.

Solution

VsYK

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Apologies to revive an old post. But I have just upgraded one of my son's GPU's to a R9 270X. He already had a DVI-I into his old card & the VGA into is monitor. I simply unplugged the cable, switched GPU's & connected the cable back & the monitor shows no signal at all. I connected the GPU HDMI to another monitor with HDMI & it shows up no issue's, so the GPU is working & I know the monitor works because it detects signal from his old HD 6770. I put the cable that wasn't working onto another system & it worked, but that had the HD7850 in it.

So, is this a setting issue or what? Because the cable should work & it seems to not like the R9 270X. And I know the DVI-I port works, because I connected it up to another system using the same type of cable & it shows signal.

So its a mystery to me. Unless the cables being sold on eBay are not as described. Never had issue's buying cables for less than £4 before!

TRENDING THREADS