[SOLVED] DVI or HDMI for my monitor?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, I have a 27 inch I-O DATA monitor. It's working well, no problems.

Have two computers, each with a different gpu. Gaming pc has a GTX 1050ti that uses a DVI cable whilst my backup PC has an ASUS GTX 1650 GDDR6 that use a Ugreen HDMI cable.

My question is a simple one... the shop that sold me the hdmi cable said that hdmi is the better kind of connection. Would it be better to start using hdmi cable on the 1050 ti as well, or just stick with the DVI cable that it uses?

Solution
Quality wise, they are the same. 1050ti has Hdmi 2 so if monitor was 4k then id use this connection so it can do 60Hz. Assuming monitor is 1080p then it makes no difference what you use.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
thanks both for the info. :)
both posts provided info that I don't know about..
___

@SkyNetRising

it's a bit of a long story, how the 1650 ended up in the backup pc. On the day I tried to install it on the gaming pc.. it was not compatible with the old DVI cable that the 1050ti uses. Thought the card was defective, went back to the store for warranty - the shopkeeper is a nice person (I lost the receipt, but he printed another one so I could have warranty again), we tested with a stress test, the one with swirling graphics.. gpu is fine. It just wanted a new cable to work properly. On getting home, I had the weird idea of using it for awhile on the backup pc.. and indeed there was no error, hdmi worked fine. Much more powerful than the GT 1030 that it replaced, the 1650 allowed me to increase resolution in some games. Well, but backup pc cannot take full advantage of the 1650 because it only has Q9500 and Pcie 1.0. Will swap the gpu of the 2 pc when I find the time to do so.

Last edited: