Question DVI Port Losing Signal After Boot / HDMI works fine

Feb 14, 2019
So I wanted to plug in my older second monitor which only has VGA/DVI cables. So I plugged my DVI-D cord into my monitor and gtx1060 and received no signal. So I figured it could be the old monitor or cord. After testing the same cord on the my newer monitor I still was getting no DVI signal despite HDMI working perfectly. With the DVI cable still plugged to my GPU I restarted the computer and voila I received a boot window and had signal until the Windows Logo. So I at least knew the DVI cable could transmit a signal and seemingly so could the DVI port on my GPU. I then tried the same thing on the older monitor and the same occurred. I got signal until the windows logo.

At this point I think I can conclude clearly the cable works. The old monitor still works. Clearly the DVI port works on my GPU if it could output a signal during boot but once past the windows logo I lose the DVI signal. HDMI is completely fine and works like a charm.

So at this point I can't get the DVI port to work properly coming from my GPU after the computer has booted. I'm at a loss of where to go because I think I've confirmed nothing is faulty on the hardware side. What should I try next?

Thank you for any assistance

Feb 14, 2019

GPU: Nvdia GTX1060
CPU: AMD FX8350
MOBO: Asus M5A99x Evo
PS: Corsair TX750
Monitors: Asus v247 and some old POS
Windows 10

HDMI works fine for the newer monitor. I cant test on the older model as I said because it has no HDMI but I think that monitor is a bit irrelevant at this point since the problem persists even on the newer monitor. So I've been focused on getting the DVI port just to work right now.

Feb 14, 2019
So I booted up my computer on my newer monitor in safe mode with the DVI cable and everything worked fine. I used DDU to uninstall my Nvidia Drivers and reinstalled. As soon as the Nvidia graphics driver began to install the screen went black with the DVI cable but didn't lose signal. I was required at this point to plug in the HDMI cable to get my screen back and once again the HDMI cable works perfectly fine but the graphics driver once installed caused the DVI-D to stop working. How odd is that?

I do not have on-board graphics so everything has been done while plugged into the GPU.

Edit: and I tried a different driver version and the same thing occurred. The DVI port goes black once the graphic driver installs.

Last edited: