DVI: Power Saving Mode randomly and periodically

FearBear

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Alright, first off, I'm not sure this is under the correct topic but seeing as how my problem could be related to a number of issues I've put it under this.

For a while now my PC goes through periods of time where it will randomly going to DVI Power Saving Mode and then sort of crashes? I'm not sure, the power is still on but my headphones buzz out and stop whatever sounds/music was playing. I then have to manually crash the PC by holding down the power button and rebooting.

This happens completely randomly, it's happened as I'm playing games, writing up documents and even just viewing the web. It will occur anywhere from 30 seconds upon startup to hours after startup.

Furthermore, sometimes the problem won't occur for days and then one day it will happen several times before I give up on it. Then I'll try again the next day it can be perfectly fine.

It's been happening periodically for up to a couple of months now and the computer is roughly 6 months old. I've looked on all kinds of forums looking for a solution but I don't know what else to do.

I'm running an LG monitor and i've tried it on a Samsung monitor and the problem persisted.

The specs are:

CPU
Intel Haswell Unlocked Core i7-4790 4 Core 3.6Ghz, 8MB Cache, Hyperthreading, LGA1150 Platform

Motherboard
B85 Chipset motherboard, DDR3 support, 4x SATA3, 2x SATA2

Memory
8GB DDR3 Gaming RAM with heat spreaders

SSD
240GB SSD

Hard Drive
2TB HDD

Graphics Card
Nvidia GTX 970 4GB GDDR5, DirectX12, Dual link DVI, HDMI, 3x Display Port

Power Supply
600W PSU, MEPS

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64bit OEM

Any help would be appreciated.

Update:

I just discovered that if I didn't manually crash my PC and reboot, after a few seconds its reboots on its own. Not sure if that changes anything.
Looks like it enters power saving mode then reboots.

FearBear

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Update: it was quite bad this morning and barely lasting 1 minute each time I restarted so I tried running in Safe Mode. For 10 minutes it's run fine. Not sure if it's coincidence or if it means something.

Thinking it's about time to send it in to the tech guys for a look unless anyone has an idea for me?