DVI stopped working, VGA still works

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

azriul

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I made a thread here

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2289292/black-screen-sound-dvi-stopped-working-vga-works.html

But no one answered, I don't know if I gave too much details so people just "TLDR" or if it was in the wrong section, but I am at a complete loss and need to get my system up ASAP.

Short story is, was playing a game (which has many hours in it) screen went blank and had no signal. After much testing with the monitor, leads, numerous graphics cards the conclusion is that DVI has just stopped working on my main computer (old crappy one the screen works using DVI so it's not that). The problem is, I'm stuck using a poor GPU since it has the VGA slot while my new GPU only has a DVI and HDMI (HDMI works on the TV but monitor doesn't have HDMI)

Much more details in the other thread, but perhaps too much.

Win 7
i5
8 gb ram
HD 7750 GPU (also tested with a 6670)

Solution
Have a look at the box for your HD 6670, or lookup the model on the manufacturers web site. I bet it has a DVI-D output, not a DVI-I. The VGA output works doesn't it? Why would you have ever tried to use a DVI to VGA adapter if there is a VGA output?

I don't know how a VGA to HDMI adapter is possible. VGA is analog and HDMI is digital. This would have to be an active device with power.

Use the DVI input on your monitor.
If you can access a DVI to DVI cable, test this first.
If not, buy a HDMI to DVI cable since we know the HDMI output works.

azriul

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Nope, from the very first thread you've made me repeat myself over and over. If you read the original thread I linked, I stated from the very get go that it's a DVI adapter. I've stated time and time again it's NOT the things you persist to bang on about, if it were those, I wouldn't be here making a thread.

You just can't accept the information I've given you, you haven't helped in the slightest, quite the opposite. You've only told me to do stuff I've already done before even writing the thread, and not accept that simple fact. The more I read of your posts the more I think you're just trolling. I got better things to do than keep repeating myself that those are NOT the issues so I can move on and find out what the ACTUAL issue is. Thanks for your time I guess but I think this thread is done.

From everything you have described it can only be the graphics card.
The rest of the PC, including software, does not care in the slightest which connector you are using from the graphics card.
I know you don't believe that because you can't get the HD 6670 working on this computer with the adapter either, but that doesn't somehow prove the HD 7750 works.
If you really have tested the HD 7750 in another computer and it worked with the DVI to VGA adapter, then I am very surprised and very confused.
I don't see what else could possibly cause this.

azriul

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

I don't think you are getting it. That is the EXACT problem I am having! It makes no sense, which is why I posted here in the first place, not to discuss that it should be something else that it isn't which I've already tried.

All 3 cards have now been tested in the other machine, the 5750, 6670 and 7750. All work. I have not tested the 5750 in this machine and frankly, I can't be bothered since I've been swapping them over constantly the last 4 days, and I don't need to anyway since I know it's not the cards.

30 minutes ago I got the VGA-HDMI adapter, first testing it with the 6670 (since that's the only one of the two I can use on this machine) but the picture is blurry and it's giving me limited refresh / display options but even then 1920x1080 is the best of them, but it's irrelevant since this doesn't fix the major issue nor have I tried it on the 7750 yet but I've had enough of fiddling for the moment, and besides, the CCC didn't load for some reason, I'll fix this but it's not my priority ATM, especially for this card.

Unfortunately active adapters often aren't very good. You see the same sort of complaints with external USB video devices. Certainly update the drivers, but it could just be the adapter.

I know these sentences make sense to you since you are looking at this equipment, but I don't know what "the other machine" is where you have tested the three cards or "this machine" where you have not. It's also not clear what "tested" means.

No problem is unsolvable. I trouble shoot problems for a living, generally software. Helping out people on a forum is a hobby I guess. So often this means finding the incorrect assumption. It's not about justifying the tests you have done, but instead about what assumption you have made in this testing.

So the piece I was digging for was testing the HD 5750 in another machine using the DVI to VGA adapter to the VGA input of a monitor. No matter how many times you feel you are repeating yourself, you have never clarified that you have tried this.

azriul

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Listen:

Old machine
AMD Phenom ii X2 Black edition (IIRC it's a 555 3.2ghz)
8 GB ram
W7

Newer machine
i5-2320 3.00 ghz quad core
8 GB ram
Original card 6670
New / Current card 7750

I have THREE adapters. TWO cables. ALL have been tested, ALL with the same results.

ALL three GPU's have been tested in the old machine. ALL three work with ALL inputs.

TWO of the GPU's have been put into the current machine, neither work through the DVI. BOTH worked originally through the DVI. The 7750 had been in there, working, for a long time. The 7750 decided to just stop working through the DVI in THE CURRENT machine.

7750 has been tested with the current machine in the HDMI on the TV. Works
7750 has been tested with the DVI in the old machine. Works
7750 has been tested with the DVI in new machine. Does not work. Originally worked.

5750 has been tested with the old machine through the HDMI in theTV. Works
5750 has been tested with the old machine through the DVI in the monitor. Works

6670 has been tested with the old machine through the HDMI in the TV. Works
6670 has been tested with the old machine through the DVI in the monitor. Works.
6670 has been tested with the new machine through the VGA->HDMI adapter. Works (but blurry, and irrelevant)
6670 has been tested with the new machine through the DVI. Does not work.

I have not tested the 5750 in the new machine with the DVI. Not going to as it doesn't need it.
I have not tested the 7750 in the new machine with the VGA->HDMI adapter yet. I will but again, it's irrelevant since it's just a band aid fix even if it works.

Both the 5750 and 6670 are irrelevant, I don't care to get these cards working since they do through other means. They are not the cards I want to use or focus on, they have been used for testing. Yes I am currently using the 6670 because it's the only choice I have (that or the better yet older 5750 but I want to keep that in my old machine anyway since it should need a 480w PSU and the newer machine only has a 450w, probably a cheap one at that)

If I am to buy a new GPU then I will need a new PSU too. This was my original plan until this went wrong, as now I need to fix the issue with this FIRST before spending on a decent PSU and GPU only to find these are not the issues.

Yes I did clarify that I had tested the cards in the old machine (NOT the 5750, but the 6670 and 7750 since those were the ones we were talking about). Had barely touched on the 5750 so there was zero reason to think I was talking about that and I specifically said "Ive now plugged them both into the old computer and both work." to which you reply "Are you telling me you have plugged the HD 6670 and 7750 into the old computer" so yes, that is repeating myself, not to mention the many, many times I've told you I've tested all this previously, which is EXACTLY why I am here in the first place.

The issue is, plain and simple that the 7750 does not work through the DVI in my current machine after using it though that input for a long time. Anything else was just for testing to check if it was the card or not. It's not.

Sorry, that should have been HD 7750 in my last post.

If you have ruled out relevant hardware, it must be software.
I'm not aware of any setting in Windows specific to the DVI output of the card.
I'm guessing you have tried this, but I would definitely uninstall the Catalyst Control Centre, clean up the drivers and reinstall the latest version of CCC.

This is a better summary of your testing. As we've already been over this I know you are using the DVI to VGA adapter but you should explicitly mention this if you are posting this to any other forums or Tom's hardware again.

If reinstalling the drivers doesn't help:
I would suggesting writing up a clearer post and re-posting to Tom's hardware. You may get some more responses.
Include the testing you have done on the HD 7750, monitor, cable and adapter that you actually want to use.
Leave out opinions of friends, upgrade plans, etc.
Use card model numbers, not "new card", "old card", etc.
Every time you mention DVI, mention you are testing with a DVI to VGA adapter and the VGA input of you monitor.

You will get some stupid responses, but you may find someone who can help.