dvi to vga adapter vs dvi cable to the the screen

Vegeta_1

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
I have sapphire hd 7870 graphic card. The output is dvi, but when I bought the computer I got a dvi to vga adapter and a vga cable and I connected it to the computer.
Now I somehow got a dvi cable to my hands now I ask what is better to connect my screen with dvi cable or to continue use an adaptor of dvi to vga and connect with vga.
is there any diffrence in the quality?
which is better a cable of dvi connects right to the screen with dvi port or a dvi to vga adapter and from the adapter I connect a vga cable to the screen.
is the adapter lowering the quality or its the same because the adapter is good and make a good convertion and by that its the same thing... ?

Solution
In rare situations where the cable is too short and pulling on the port, etc. Things like that.
There just isnt much reason to use an adapter if you dont have to.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
VGA sends signals that are analog only, while DVI carries both analog and digital signals. DVI also offers a sharper display. By using a VGA adapter, yes you'd likely be taking away any digital signal native to the DVI source on your graphics card and lowering the quality...things getting "lost in translation", as it were.

To pare it down, if your monitor has a DVI input, I'd recommend to go DVI on both ends and stick the VGA adapter in storage somewhere for potential future use. You're likely cheating yourself by using the adapter if you don't have to.

TRENDING THREADS