[SOLVED] DWM.exe & Client Server Runtime Process taking up a lot of GPU Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauddib87

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hi all...I desperately need help and I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for it.

So today I noticed that dwm.exe and csrss.exe are taking up an absurd amount of my GPU. They will take between 5-20% just to move the mouse across the screen. I've been pulling my hair out over this issue all day. I've updated my drivers checked for a crypto miner, and various other fixes that have been found online...to no avail. I was thinking of doing a clean install of windows...but don't necessarily want to go down that road if it can be helped. Case in point the right now my gpu...basically at idle is running at 3% 1.5 to Chrome and the rest to the two windows apps.

I guess my questions is are:

is this abnormal and are my concerns justified?...I don't remember this ever being an issue.

Does anyone know any potential fixes?

Is a windows clean install my only bet?

Like I said I've already updated Nvidia drivers (clean install). I am pretty sure the card itself is doing fine. It is running at 30-32C on idle and I was playing a game that had it maxed for several hours and it didn't go over 62C. I've tried unplugging both my monitors and the problem still was there. I'll include my specs below. Oh and everything is at stock...no overclocking.

Ryzen 2600x

16 Gig 3000 mhz ram

MSI Gaming Plus B450 Motherboard

MSI GTX 1660 6gb GPU

I use two monitors. Both 1080p one is 60hz the other 144hz.

Reactions: Bumzi13

mauddib87

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Yeah I ran everything. I did Malwarebytes, Norton, the Ms on demand scanner, rkill... everything. Nothing came up. Idk. It's not impacting my gaming performance I don't think. I did a complete fresh install of windows and it still happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.