DX 9 or CAT 3.4, does it poes problems for you?

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
I have been trying to figure out now for some time why my system keeps crashing, It seems to crash when in game play. At first i tought it might be overload on the system thinking that it might be over heating. That was not the case, at least not for the MoBo at 47c and CPU at 44c.

So then i thought maybe the monitor. It WAS a MAC monitor and had to have its driver set as a standerd monitor. So i just had that changed. Its now a Compaq 171FS and it has a driver for it. But i still crash.

Could this be DX 9 or CAT 3.4?

the freeze that occures causes nothing to move any more... not even the mouse... and sometimes even the monitor turns off, Alt CTRL Del does not work eather.

Feed back on this would be Great!

Thanks!

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro(Sapphire) - WD 80G HD (8M Buffer) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW - Iomega Zip 250 int.

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
I am far from a computer expert, but my problem is very similar to yours. The freezing, losing mouse pointer, and having to do a hard shut down.

The things we have in common are:
Directx 9.0
Catalyst 3.4
ATI 9xxx series card (9800 here)
Asus p4x mother board (p4c800 here)

So, it seems that might help up, or help someone else to be able to help us.

Radiant

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
I have been having the same problem. It only occurs when I play games, and within 2 minutes of game play my computer crashes and just reboots.

Things in common;
dx9 (Have had problem with both dx9 and dx 9.0a)
ATI 9xxx series (9500 pro here)
catalyst 3.4 (also had the same problem with 3.2)

to see more about this problem, see my thread ATI9500 pro + dx9 = HARD crash

Athlon 1.4
epox 8k7a+
256megs Crucial DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9500Pro
Soundblaster PCI128
ViewSonic A95f 19"
WinXP Pro SP1

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
No! I use DirectX 9.0a and Catalyst 3.4 without any kind of problem. In all fairness it should be noted that I´m not a hardcore gamer, currently installed is Half-Life (and CS), GTA - Vice City, Splinter Cell (which I completed today, wohoo!) and the demo of IGI2.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

RCPilot

Champion
You all could have your AGP Aperture size to large in BIOS. Go <A HREF="http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=1" target="_new">here</A> & read the Aperture Size. More is not always better. It's a idea anyway.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

uber_m0j0

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
Hey hey

I too have been having those problems.
On games such as NeverWinter Nights, Unreal 2 or Morrowind.. at random times(2mins in or 2 hours in) my computer will reboot. Its not a heat problem, my CPU runs around 110F under heavy load. Not sure about the GPU, but I doubt its overheating.
I've set AGP memory size from 64mb-512mb.. on every setting, games still crash. I just leave it at 64mb now.
*shrug* im getting used to the crashing problem when playing games. Other than that, my system is pretty sweet =)
A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon 2700+
FIC 9700np Cat 3.4

~m0j0<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by uber_m0j0 on 06/12/03 04:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I have the R9600P and have used the CAT 3.2, 3.4 and Omega 3.4s (v. 2443 [running those now]) all without problem. I have spanked the crap out of my card in testing and all without problem except when running at above 100+50% core and 100+20% memory, but still no power-down crashes just lock ups. However as I doubt you are overclocking that's likely not it. And when I run stock, Rock Solid, not a single crash, lock up or poijnter issue. I did notice when running super overclocked (before crashin in tests) then I would have issues even in a basic windows screen, but I doubt that's your problem here. Just FYI, that's all.

What I haven't seen from any of your posts is the PSU. What power supply are you running? That's gotta be the most common problem. And just having a 'BIG' PSU isn't enough, some have had compatibility problems with the newer Nvidia/ATI cards (even the Antec True BLue series had some issues)
Are you ONLY experiencing these things under Cat 3.4 whereas they were fine under 3.2 or earlier versions? Reverting to 3.1 has helped some from what I've read (depends on the game). ALSO, do you have the latest download of DX9 from MS, the very first version caused alot of issues for people (who downloaded it just to run 3Dmk03 on their DX 7/8.1 cards.) across a wide range of cards.

Anywhoo just my two frames worth of the stuff I have come across here and there.

Also you might want to check the forums at Rage3D as they always talk about cat/driver issues. IF it's happened and if there is a solution, it's usually to be found there. Catalyst driver makers/tweakers are also common posters/readers/residents.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
I have an Antec 400w ps.

Also, I have only used directx 9.0a and catalyst 3.4. This computer is about 2 days old, has never had any other video card, or drivers installed.

Might not be your PSUs, but I suggest first roll back your drivers. There are old one's availible from people in Rage3D, then do a process of elimination. But visit Rage3D first and see what they have to say.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

hlftopdog

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
I just made a post with the same kind of problem... i have found that i can run everything fine when i UNDERclock the CPU to 100FSB instead of 133FSB. When at 133 i crash every time i try to play a game and sometimes on system boot up. At 100FSB (the 2400xp + only runs at 1.5ghz) i can run videos, games, benchmarks EVERYTHING fine

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Huhm, could it then be a faulty motherboard/CPU?

Catalyst driver makers/tweakers are also common posters/readers/residents.
Yep, Terry Makedon of ATI´s driver team is there once in awhile.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

hlftopdog

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
everything runs fine at 100FSB, with a 8500 in i run fine at 133FSB with my 9500 in my other machine it runs fine it all runs great in certain instances ... just not together :( on AMD website it recommends this motherboard and they both work :/ i think its a g-card issue personally... ATI needs to sort it out

Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like a mother board or chip issue.
If it's the FSB what makes you think that the graphics card is faulty, it's probably just the first thing to point out an issue with the Mobo. Did you try the Graphics card in another mobo?

Just doesn't sound right. And AMD recommending the make doesn't mean the specific board isn't FUBAR'd!

hlftopdog

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
yea i did, but i also tried a different graphics card on this board and it worked fine ... how bizarre. im gonna try something that someone suggested in a minute then ill get back to u with what happens.

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
I disabled fast writes, and now it seems to work ok. I do not crash anymore.

To the other people having problems, do you know what your chipset drivers are dated, or what release they are? I do not know why, but my computer has reverted to some older drivers (some dated back to 2000), and it will not let me install the newer drivers. The install goes fine, but the computer reboots and the old drivers are still there....

Does anyone have the inf files for the latest 875p chipset drivers for windows xp?

CasualCat2001

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I had a mobo that worked fine with an old Geforce 2 card but when I went to my 9600 Pro it caused system lock problems in games. I changed out the mobo and haven't had problems since...

I'm not completely familiar with all the mobo's that were listed here, but do any of them have onboard graphics? If so make sure those are disabled. If you can't disable them that is likely to be the source of your problem.