DX10 FOR XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzy33

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
:D Vista is not needed for DirectX10

DirectX10 games will run only on Vista, but Vista will run earlier versions of DirectX.

A new API for Vista only called DirectX9.0L is planned to improve Vista's performance of DirectX9 games

Note that DirectX 10 won't be compatible with earlier DirectX versions, and it won't be released for Windows XP. For backward compatibility with current games and hardware, Microsoft plans to include DirectX 9L in Windows Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/community/gaming.mspx
Fuzzy

I wanted to get a DX10 card yesterday to start testing. A friend of mine showed me the link to by the 8800 on newegg yesterday via PM. But I thought better of it. My 7950GX2 will probably out perform it in a DX9 enviroment. I'll wait till about Feb. before I start to buy and test DX10 cards.

KrisRhodes

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Nono, 8800 far outperforms all 7xxx cards even in DX9.0

I think there's something about this even on the tomshardware homepage.

speu

The_Hanz

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I wanted to get a DX10 card yesterday to start testing. A friend of mine showed me the link to by the 8800 on newegg yesterday via PM. But I thought better of it. My 7950GX2 will probably out perform it in a DX9 enviroment. I'll wait till about Feb. before I start to buy and test DX10 cards.

The GeForce 8800 will outperform two of the 7950's in SLI with a single card, even in a DX9 enviroment and by a sizable margin too I'll add.

Jollyware

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
This will make nice reading for y'all.....

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp-from-alky-project/

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Not supported by MS though. Just some good Engineer doin some Slop N Chop. I went to vista, and with a few optimizations it does all the crap XP does. Without 100+ fixes/patchs, yet. I believe some time during 2008 Vista will be > XP. It's that or you can wait another ~4 years for another OS to come out. Which would be equilvent to running 98 right now.

siiix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
actually bildo123 your wrong, its not even close to like running win98 instead of xp, the difference between xp and vista is the same then win 98 and winME, and i have to say i skipped ME as well(with good reason), there is absolutely no advantage of vista besides DX10, and as most of us don't use a legal copy of windows anyhow , really what does it matter if MS supports the solution or not, i rater use a good/reliable/non-annoying OS and DX10 install manually, then running that vistaME on my PC, even if i would run vista just for the games i would as secondary boot, so i would not have to deal with it

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006

First, Tom's forums does NOT support piracy, real or implied. That's for other websites. So unless you're looking for a ban...

Second, ME was DOA. Vista is recovering and doing much better in the support department over the last year.

Is a good/reliable/non-annoying OS one that is about to get it's third SP and 100s of patches?

siiix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
xp is just as well supported, xp is an amassing well working OS and fast

vista is even then slower if i strip it down to bare minimum, not much slower but still who want to be even a little bit slower

but not annoying? did you ever used vista, is pure hell
in person i have to yet meet a person who do not agree on this

i disabled like endless amount of annoying features, like asking 5 times if you sure that you sure that you like to click on that icon... but there is so many more complete idiotic annoying features, that do nothing else but make your life hell

and again where is the advantage of vista with current hardware

i guess besides dx10 the only other advantage i can think of, will be when we start to have more then 2gig ram, but currently i'm fine with 2gigs

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Man, I'm running vista and there is nothing wrong with it. It's better in my opinion, looks better too. Runs just fine. In fact I even ran it for a little while on an Athlon XP 2800+ with 1 gb of ram. Ran fine.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

I think its time you get your A+ cert so that you can understand how to work around a windows environment. Did I have to disable a bunch of stuff after a fresh install of Vista? Yea, Did I ever have to do it again? Na. It's a one time done deal if you do it right. I've been using Vista since November of 07, And I love it, even more so than XP which I previously used for 5+years. Most people that complain its slow is because there systems are simply weak, ranging from 512Mb-1GB RAM and a CPU thats more than likely a single core under 2Ghz 'rating'. Lets face it we are now in the stage of gaming where the games themselves can hit windows 32-bit limit of addressing, only 2GB for one process. Supreme Commander being one of them. I played Hellgate London when it came out and that would use about 1.5GB. This was tested in XP and Vista and Vista did use a bit more RAM but none the less they both used almost 2GB just for the game itself in SC. Not only that why don't you go buy Vista, you can get Retail Home Premium for about $100 now :kaola:

siiix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
well i guess we live on a different planet, i'm not saying its unstable or complex

what i say its :
annoying
designed if every user would be an idiot
and slightly slower then xp

i might add its even slower if i use starskin + real desktop added to xp
with makes xp look better (by light years) then vista with out 3rd party add-on's

i'm atech and i have 7 computers at home and 4 of those have vista, the ones that are important and skilled user use have xp, the ones in the guest room and kids computer have vista

and this with reason: vista is harder to mess up, slightly easier to install (like i said designed with the idiot user in mind), so its perfect for such things where a lot of people or the clue lass mess with it (waiting room, guest room, internet cafe, kids pc, ...)

but guys you cant be serious if your a seriously using your tweaked PC for work and gaming and IF MS would release an official DX10 for XP you would still use vista ???!!!

i would even PAY for an official DX10 patch fro XP, in fact right now i would even pay $100 i just dislike vista so much

i just like to poit out that its not difficulty to use but annoyance, i feel offended its designed so dumb

siiix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
why cant we edit messages?!?

anyhow i wanted to add that this unofficial DX10 seems not work very well , as of yet no one reverse engineered DX10, they just made a few new subrutines and try to insert the DX10 dll's in to xp

in my experience so far its very unstable as for what works and what gives you a dll error, majority of DX10 applications still run on DX9 or they give me an error

there is a company who is selling patches for the most popular games, but each patch only works with 1 specific game and they $20 each (with the patch DX10 games on PC's with DX10 cards but xp will fun on DX10) .. so kinda expensive on the long run

Status
Not open for further replies.