aakashsharma191

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Well i am too tight on budget and going to buy a pc in next 3 days and i have a fear of the release of the DX 10 and after that my card might be useless.

I am going to take an nvidia geforce 7600GT

PLEASE remove my FEAR

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Well i am too tight on budget and going to buy a pc in next 3 days and i have a fear of the release of the DX 10 and after that my card might be useless.

PLEASE remove my FEAR

That's a fine purpose especially if you are on a tight budget, DX10 cards are due in Nov Dec last I checked. Prices and such will be ridiculas at best, and availability will be pretty limited.

I would not worry Vista will be out sometime in quarter 1 of 07 so you have lots of time to enjoy the current card while waiting to see how the DX10 revolution pans out.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

PLEASE remove my FEAR

Good choice. I'm not so sure as Spud is that DX10 will be avilable that early, especialy as I read somewhere (no idea about a link, sorry) that its implementation within Vista will be delayed - and that it isn't even finalised.

Even so. I too went down the medium card range. I got a HIS X1800 GTO, a slightly better card than the GT7600, but also a bit more expensive. I was hoping to unlock the 4 pipelines it was rumoured to have disabled, but sadly, have the wrong GB_PIPE_SELECT value. Still, it overclocks pretty decently and performs fantastic at resolutions of 1280x1024.

IMHO, unless you have plenty of money to burn, the medium card range such as the GT7600 or the card I went for is the way to go. It will last until DX10 compliant games are more common and as Spud pointed out, the cards are more reasonably priced. I can see myself wanting to upgrade come March/April at the earliest - possibly much later.

Another point to consider is, DX10 based games are unlikely to simply not work on DX9 cards. I can not possibly imagine games developers cutting their potential market down so greatly. Imagine it like this - DX10 based games will have added graphical features, that simply will not work on your card. The games should still work fine, just without those features.

Vista is another story, but I am also expecting that DX10 may infact not be a requirement for the operating system. Instead, it will still function, just without the eye candy. Have NO fear, that is the way to the dark side (sorry just watched Star Wars lol).

Did I already say I think you are making a good choice? :D

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Vista will include DX9 as well as DX10 and run Aeroglass in either mode. Any card from NVidia5700 and up will work. Your mileage will vary though.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Thats around about what I thought I read Newf, but wasn't entirely sure. Thanks for that, I was wondering myself! Also couldn't remember the word Aeroglass, very blonde today. Anyway's, whos going to pay to beta test Vista? :D

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Actually, thousands are doing free beta testing now and have been for quite some time. Vista has been delayed as the bugs (oops- I mean features) have yet to meet Microsoft standards.
We paying customers get to choose how much of an early adopter/risk taker we want to be. I will certainly wait rather than stand in line to get it, but forum users tend to get both good and bad news pretty quickly. I expect to try it on my box within the first month or so, leaving my wife's working XP system as a backup.

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

PLEASE remove my FEAR

Good choice. I'm not so sure as Spud is that DX10 will be avilable that early, especialy as I read somewhere (no idea about a link, sorry) that its implementation within Vista will be delayed - and that it isn't even finalised.

Even so. I too went down the medium card range. I got a HIS X1800 GTO, a slightly better card than the GT7600, but also a bit more expensive. I was hoping to unlock the 4 pipelines it was rumoured to have disabled, but sadly, have the wrong GB_PIPE_SELECT value. Still, it overclocks pretty decently and performs fantastic at resolutions of 1280x1024.

IMHO, unless you have plenty of money to burn, the medium card range such as the GT7600 or the card I went for is the way to go. It will last until DX10 compliant games are more common and as Spud pointed out, the cards are more reasonably priced. I can see myself wanting to upgrade come March/April at the earliest - possibly much later.

Another point to consider is, DX10 based games are unlikely to simply not work on DX9 cards. I can not possibly imagine games developers cutting their potential market down so greatly. Imagine it like this - DX10 based games will have added graphical features, that simply will not work on your card. The games should still work fine, just without those features.

Vista is another story, but I am also expecting that DX10 may infact not be a requirement for the operating system. Instead, it will still function, just without the eye candy. Have NO fear, that is the way to the dark side (sorry just watched Star Wars lol).

Did I already say I think you are making a good choice? :D

All of Vista's eye-candy will work with a DX9 card...it's one of the requirements for AeroGlass. I'm in the same boat, as I want to get a DX10 card for Flight Simulator X (due this winter). That said, the prices will probably be ridiculous, and the power usage will be monstrous for the first generation of cards. So I need something that is cheap and will give me decent frame rates at the native res of my 21" for the next 8 months at least. I'm still looking for a few options beyond the 7600GT. The other problem is I want to keep my 350W PSU for now, so whatever I get can't be a power hog, and shouldn't need an external power connection.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
For me, given the more shader-intensive direction of modern games, there is only only card to hold until DX10 without breaking the bank... and thats the X1900XT.

You can spend a helluva lot more on card, but if you want something to last for the next 6-12 months then I'd suggest saving for the above. The 7600GT struggles a little even in games of a few months back... such as FEAR and especially Oblivion.

Of course, you can spend alot of money on a 7950GX2 or an SLI rig, but the X1900XT offers very good bang for the buck and is more likely to tide you over until DX10 - unless of course you are happy gaming at 1024,768 with medium detail on everything.

I understand fully you're on a tight budget, but if you want to play modern games and not upgrade again 'til DX10 then skimping on a graphics card is the worst you can do. Perhaps you aren't as fussy as me, but I had a 7800GT and I still got pissed off the first time I fired up Oblivion. I'd really, really advise saving the extra $100 for an X1900XT. Or even a 7900GT would give you some extra 'grunt' over a 7600GT if you can get a good deal on one.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Vista is another story, but I am also expecting that DX10 may infact not be a requirement for the operating system.
DX10 is not a requirement for Vista but it requires Vista. I'm running Vista beta with full Aero and DX9.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Thanks for the info and corrections kukito, racerboy and Newf. I was going to add a disclaimer to my post saying, "info may not be 100% accurate", guess I should have done hehe :lol:

I did know though that Vista is going through open beta testing right now. My comment was actually a dig at MS for the state in which they generaly release a product. Paying for beta testing to me, is buying Vista on release then having to put up with all the bugs for a good 12 months or so until it works as it should.

DaveUK, I was going to go for the 1900XT, but it was going to add another £100 on top of the overall computer cost. If you can afford it, I'd recomend it, but I really pushed the boat out on my rig anyway. Also I guess it depends how much you really are a gamer, and want the best eye candy available. For me, I compromised.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
In a way we are still paying to beta test XP. Windows Update anyone?

Yeah that was kinda my point. It's like an entirely new product compared to initial install. Even now it's not exactly perfect, but its better than using Linux for now.

You make a fair point battousai. If you dont turn up absalutely everything to maximum and play at really high resolutions, even games like Oblivion will be fine. I plan to get it and am hoping to play at 1280x1024 with most things on high but not everything. Hopefully I wont be dissapointed!

aakashsharma191

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Well if the dx10 was about to be release then why the GeGorce 7950 GX2 was released.Those people who have bought it must be hammering up their heads.I am the one in the same boat.I am gonna going to buy a 64 bit machine after 4years going to shift to 64 bit computing from 32 bit and now when i am going to buy A BIG MESS

There was'nt a big mess like this when DX9 was released and the GPU's shifted from DX8 to DX9.Why? :evil:

I can say one thing that there was'nt a large variety of cards during that time.BUT WHY this time such chaos :( AND THIS MICROSOFT sucks(delaying Vista day to day).

IF VISTA IS THE FUTURE THEN WHAT IS THE USE OF LINUX. :evil:

and LOOK AT LINUX NO SUPPORT FOR DX you have to make a subscription to cedega and even that does'nt support all games

Samat

Distinguished
IF VISTA IS THE FUTURE THEN WHAT IS THE USE OF LINUX. :evil:

and LOOK AT LINUX NO SUPPORT FOR DX you have to make a subscription to cedega and even that does'nt support all games

Well Direct X is developed by Microsoft and it really ain't handing out it's intellectual property to open source coders especially when it could harm it financially (full dx support on Linux would be nice tho). Running Linux on storage server or on comp that you don't use for playing games etc Linux does just fine (why pay M$ for OS license if you don't need the features?).

And as earlier stated Vista release and DX10 won't make your old graphics card absolete, it just means that there are some new feats that your old graphics card can't handle. That's why I went for X1900 XT to last atleast 2 years (you can hope), before really needing to upgrade (hopefully by then Vista is already ironed out a bit and there is a solid DX10 supporting base of games).

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I'm in the same boat, as I want to get a DX10 card for Flight Simulator X (due this winter).

Flight Simulator X (at least with dx10 support) WILL NOT be out this year, as DX10 requries Vista. Don't expect Vista until the spring of next year.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I bought a 7950gx2 and I'm not hammering my head? I'm saving up for an upgrade next spring/summer though. Dx10 should be good.

Anyways anyone who believes that no Dx10 games will be out until 2008... that's a joke. I can name off some games that will include Dx10 at the time of their release in ~q1 2007: Crysis, Hellgate: London, Conan, Flight Simulator X.

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I can name off some games that will include Dx10 at the time of their release in ~q1 2007: Crysis, Hellgate: London, Conan, Flight Simulator X.

Even if these games do make it to the shelves in 2007 (which is extremely unlikely...hope is one thing people, naivite is another) they WILL NOT natively support dx10. The BEST you can hope for is a patch that offers marginal implementation a few months down the road.

Not that this really matters, but don't base your GPU purchasing decision on DX10. It is best to treat it as if it doesn't exist yet - because for all intents and purposes - it doesn't.

aakashsharma191

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Well you got the bucks i am talking about those people who lie on shoe string budget and want games to be played with eye candy

Well i think that flight simulator would be released with dx9 support because
it's one of the most popular games and microsoft would release it in both DX.well it's my opinion,whaever depends upon microsoft.

One more thing i wanted to ask that when would the Splinter Cell Double Agent would be released

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Well i think that flight simulator would be released with dx9 support because
it's one of the most popular games and microsoft would release it in both DX.
It will be:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/flightsimulatorx.aspx
System Requirements

Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista
PC with 1 GHz equivalent or higher processor
256 MB of system RAM for Windows XP SP2 / 512 MB Vista
14 GB available hard disk space
32x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card required
Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play

One more thing i wanted to ask that when would the Splinter Cell Double Agent would be released
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-4/723924p1.html
Sam Fisher will be embarking on his newest adventure on October 19.

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I'm in the same boat, as I want to get a DX10 card for Flight Simulator X (due this winter).

Flight Simulator X (at least with dx10 support) WILL NOT be out this year, as DX10 requries Vista. Don't expect Vista until the spring of next year.

I know Towely...they're going to patch it as soon as DX10 hardware and Vista comes out next year. It's still going to be one of the first DX10 games though, and it is being released during the holiday season of this year.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

as DX10 requries Vista. Don't expect Vista until the spring of next year.

What drugs are you on? Vista is still on target to be released later this year to OEM's and early next year as retail.