DX11 explained! Looks VERY promising!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20090611123755_Game_Developers_Likely_to_Utilize_Performance_Boosting_Features_of_DirectX_11_First__ATI.html

What I think is most important here, as alot of people have downplayed DX11, and W7, is the usage of MT , even on older cards.
Speaking of W7, and again, alot of people have knocked it as well, I think things like this will help in its uptake.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2009/06/02/microsoft-reveals-native-win-7-video-transc/1

Things like this put a damper on those expensive cpus, as it renders them to a lessor ability vs gpu transcoding.

Between all of this, I think were in for a nery good future for gfx, and gpu usage, despite LRB

randomizer

Champion
Or I will be even more aggressive and take something like parallax occlusion mapping, which is a rather attractive kind of trick for improving the quality of pixels within an object.
Bleh, POM is ugly and rarely implemented well.

The Win 7 transcoding capabilities will be handy that's for sure.

randomizer

Champion
Resource usage is a problem for some games like Crysis, but Time Shift managed POM with very little performance hit. They just made the effect only visible within a short range of the player which meant you could watch rivits on a metal crate pop out as you ran towards it :lol: In Crysis you can watch tire tracks warp and move around as you move, while losing 15FPS at the same time! If they can actually make it decent that would be nice.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Guys.
Is there ANY current software or rumor that uses DX11 Win7 transcoding?
I know Win7 isn't out yet, but I just havn't seen ANYTHING good that's not CUDA.
Anyway, I hope someone can point me to someplace where I can find real or vapor transcoding that uses DX11 or OpenCL transcoding.

thanks!

G

but many developers still create games in dx 9.0 mode and a few are dx 10. it will take a long time to see real dx 11 games, maybe 2 years from now. consoles are Directx 9 devices and that hold off all the thing.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
i think dir x 10 will die
x 9 will stay for a while and x11 will have the game people working on that one, which will be the new x9 over time
there are much more people working on x 11 now, than there was people working on x 10 when it came out, thanks to windows 7 which seems to be very good unlike vista (sry vista people)
what say you ?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
JeyDee, Thanks for the response! I was looking hard for this. (for a long time)
I noticed after some searching, I notice that the transcoding native to Win7 seems to actually use the GPGPU! This is killer!
It should be as simple as drag and drop (like said in your links). However if I drag a Divx file to to a Real Player device, I don't know how Windows 7 can know what codec/res/bitrate the device can use.

Eh, DX10 will be around simply due to the glut of hardware, and the overall lack of upgrading due to cheap 4000 series cards and the recession.

Standard 1 year adoption time is now in effect, to be extended if XP hangs around.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1333918&postcount=15
Its still early on, give it a lil time yet

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

This is VERY early on. But it's a start.
Thanks for the post!

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Guys.
At one time - not log ago, I just copied a divx file from Windows 7 to a mobile phone. The Transcoding happend automatically and had high GPU utilitization! Made nice small .wma files.

Now the strange part. I was never able to do this again. It Windows 7 just copied the files :(
Is there any way to force transcode files when copying?

I searched everywhere, all I read is how great Windows 7 is and how easy the transcoding is.

thanks!