[SOLVED] DX12 to DX11

Solution
Maybe. Usually cpu usage increases with more fps as the cpu needs to pre-render more. Anyway, yeah i was going to suggest Afterburner but you're already using it. It's a weird issue i can't understand, hopefully you find out soon.

hod17956

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
No, if a game is coded for dx12 api only that's what the game can only use as dx11 wouldn't support the instruction sets. What game is it? Because a lot of games offer the option to change in the graphics settings.
So the thing is when i play BF5 in DX12 my gpu is at 7% and my cpu is at 70% but when I change to DX11 my gpu is at a 100% and my cpu is at 60% (R5 2600 4.1GHZ, 1060 6gb DX 12), and I am getting way better fps in DX11, so I was wondering if I could change games that has dx 12 but no options to change it to DX11 to Dx11 and then get the performance boost from it. no particular game in mind.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't know of a game yet requiring only dx12. If there are, shouldn't perform so badly. Bf5 is an odd ball because it's a very demanding game but in saying that, your gpu usage levels suggests something else is going on. Dx12 can cause some strain, even higher gpu usages, but wouldn't cripple a graphics card to such an extent.

Try reinstall Nvidia drivers from Geforce.com. If you use Geforce Experience to optimise games, have it undo settings and do those yourself. GE often causes problems, i gave it up years ago.

hod17956

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
Don't know of a game yet requiring only dx12. If there are, shouldn't perform so badly. Bf5 is an odd ball because it's a very demanding game but in saying that, your gpu usage levels suggests something else is going on. Dx12 can cause some strain, even higher gpu usages, but wouldn't cripple a graphics card to such an extent.

Try reinstall Nvidia drivers from Geforce.com. If you use Geforce Experience to optimise games, have it undo settings and do those yourself. GE often causes problems, i gave it up years ago.
I just installed the newest drivers from nvidia the day they came out its was for bf5 as well so I was happy about it, I gave up geforce experience as well a long time ago and I do my graphics setting myself. The interesting thing is in BF5 when i run it at dx12 and put it to all low setting my cpu is at 65% and my gpu is 3-5% and if i put it to ultra in dx12 my cpu goes 80-85% and my gpu to 7% but if i go back to dx11 and stay at ultra my gpu is at 100%, so I dont understand what can be this much of a difference between dx11 and dx12.

and thanks for helping me out :)

hod17956

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
Something isn't right there. How are you monitoring gpu usage? 7% usage is almost stalling and i would have expected much lower fps.

I monitored it with msi afterburner and windows task manager at the same time on my 2nd monitor cuz its was wierd for me as well, but when my gpu is on low usage my cpu usage goes up so maybe that explains that i dont drop that much fps

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe. Usually cpu usage increases with more fps as the cpu needs to pre-render more. Anyway, yeah i was going to suggest Afterburner but you're already using it. It's a weird issue i can't understand, hopefully you find out soon.

Solution

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
No, if a game is coded for dx12 api only that's what the game can only use as dx11 wouldn't support the instruction sets. What game is it? Because a lot of games offer the option to change in the graphics settings.

I think it might depend on the game... I remember playing (IIRC) the new devil may cry and having weird audio/video sync issues during cutscenes, after searching the steam forums the fix was to edit a config file and change a line of code to have it run an earlier version