[SOLVED] DX58SO upgrade ready for Win11

Oct 4, 2021
I have a DX58SO motherboard which I understand will need to be replaced if I am to run Windows 11. My computer is in all other ways up to its job. It has an i7 CPU 950 @ 3.01 GHz, 16 GB of memory, two mirrored Seagate 6 TB ATA drives, a Samsung 2TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1010 6 GB GPU supporting three monitors. It does everything I need it to, but I am supposed to be the guinea pig for my company and will have to dip my toes into Windows 11 sooner rather than later. I am also very busy and can't enjoy the luxury of a few months mucking around. Ideally I would find a mob which fitted the ATX case but allowed me to keep all other components - except maybe an M2 SSD would add some boot speed.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the least painful path here?

Solution
I have a DX58SO motherboard which I understand will need to be replaced if I am to run Windows 11. My computer is in all other ways up to its job. It has an i7 CPU 950 @ 3.01 GHz, 16 GB of memory, two mirrored Seagate 6 TB ATA drives, a Samsung 2TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1010 6 GB GPU supporting three monitors. It does everything I need it to, but I am supposed to be the guinea pig for my company and will have to dip my toes into Windows 11 sooner rather than later. I am also very busy and can't enjoy the luxury of a few months mucking around. Ideally I would find a mob which fitted the ATX case but allowed me to keep all other components - except maybe an M2 SSD would add some boot speed.
Does anyone have any suggestions for...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Take a look here:

Upgrade to the New Windows 11 OS | Microsoft

Particularly the sections about compatibility and support.

There are specific requirements in regard to CPU age, and security requirements which your current system will not meet for a supported version.
Making certain assumptions about the age of the other system components it would be a good guess to recommend total system replacement if Windows 11 is your goal. If the company is requiring it or asking you to test it, they should be willing to foot some/all of the bill for a system that will actually be capable.

Oct 4, 2021
Take a look here:

Upgrade to the New Windows 11 OS | Microsoft

Particularly the sections about compatibility and support.

There are specific requirements in regard to CPU age, and security requirements which your current system will not meet for a supported version.
Making certain assumptions about the age of the other system components it would be a good guess to recommend total system replacement if Windows 11 is your goal. If the company is requiring it or asking you to test it, they should be willing to foot some/all of the bill for a system that will actually be capable.
Thanks. Unfortunately I own the company so the buck stops here (or, more likely, leaves here). Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and go for a new machine. I assume my HDDs and DVD drive will be transferable, keyboard, mouse and monitors ditto.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Does anyone have any suggestions for the least painful path here?
Just keep using windows 10 you still have 4 more years of support, by then W12 should be out.

EDIT I know a bunch of people that still use W7 to your average person it's really no big deal.

Solution