Dx9 graphics.A waste of time for many people.


Dec 29, 2003
Direct x 9 graphics

"While the details about the DirectX 9.0 market are pretty unclear, we do know that NVIDIA shipped 5.5 million DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics processors in Q4 2003, up from 4.2 million in Q3. The result of the move was 3% gain in DirectX 9.0 Value segment to 75%, which means ATI commanded the remaining 25%"
quote from the x bit labs details on the graphics market.

Well,i'm shocked by those figures and with the advent of new dx9 games coming out and the dismal performance figures of 5200's etc in dx9,there's going to be many unhappy people
finding that the new games are virtually unplayable on their system's in dx9.

How the f*k did Nvidia sell 5.5 million value video cards?


They sold them by doing 2 things:

1- Marketing the hell out of them, and implying that the 5200's performance is better than it actually is (which is dismal), and

2- Relying heavily on the reputation they had built up before Ati had taken the performance crown.

As you can see, both strategies have taken their toll on Nvidia as their recently reported profit margin has been cut in half.
Basically, they have forced themselves into a position where the Nv40 has to perform *VERY* favorably against the R420 to get some momentum back.

It's an uphill battle for Nvidia, let's hope they learned something in the last year.

<b>Radeon <font color=red>9500 PRO</b></font color=red> <i>(hardmodded 9500, o/c 322/322)</i>
<b>AthlonXP <font color=red>2600+</b></font color=red> <i>(o/c 2400+ w/143Mhz fsb)</i>
<b>3dMark03: <font color=red>4,055</b></font color=red>


Jan 20, 2003
I work at besy buy and ill tell you one thing about retail FX cards....they are marketed based on TEXTURE RAM. Everybody and their sister comes in telling me they need a 128MB card, or their eyes light up when they see the FX5200 256MB PCI cards for about $120. Very few people realize how graphics cards work, they just look at bigger numbers. Its hard convincing someone that vRAM has almost nothing to do with performance. Thats how these cards sell. Loads of ram, cheap chipsets, and marketing to the idiots out there who dont ask questions.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO


Jun 26, 2002
256 MB FX5200/5600, 128 MB GeForce4 MX, 128 MB GeForce2 MX cards make me angry

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>


Feb 20, 2003
And my 9700pro @ 390/370 gives me a h4rd on.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7523662" target="_new"> MY A64 System </A>