DXDIAG and AGP question

I recently had to format my hard drive and re-install everything. When I
run the DirectX diagnostic program, the AGP test is grayed out and says
unavailable. Why is this? I have an ASUS Slot A K7V motherboard that
supports AGP 2x and 4x. In setup, I have AGP set to 4x and fastwrite
enabled. I installed the AGP miniport driver off of the cd that came with
my motherboard. I have the Radeon 64mb DDR card. What am I doing wrong?
How do I enable AGP?

When installing the AGP driver, there was an option to install in normal
mode or turbo mode. Not knowing the difference, I chose normal mode. I
have since uninstalle and reinstalled in turbo mode, but still don't have
AGP enabled in the DX diagnostic tool.

Can anyone help?

- Adam

jad

AGP acceleration?

"Adam Cook" <ajcook@SCREWLARAZA!!satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I recently had to format my hard drive and re-install everything.
When I
> run the DirectX diagnostic program, the AGP test is grayed out and
says
> unavailable. Why is this? I have an ASUS Slot A K7V motherboard
that
> supports AGP 2x and 4x. In setup, I have AGP set to 4x and
fastwrite
> enabled. I installed the AGP miniport driver off of the cd that
came with
> my motherboard. I have the Radeon 64mb DDR card. What am I doing
wrong?
> How do I enable AGP?
>
> When installing the AGP driver, there was an option to install in
normal
> mode or turbo mode. Not knowing the difference, I chose normal
mode. I
> have since uninstalle and reinstalled in turbo mode, but still don't
have
> AGP enabled in the DX diagnostic tool.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> - Adam

Yes, it shows disabled and is grayed out so I can't enable it.

- Adam

"JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> AGP acceleration?
>
> "Adam Cook" <ajcook@SCREWLARAZA!!satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I recently had to format my hard drive and re-install everything.
> When I
> > run the DirectX diagnostic program, the AGP test is grayed out and
> says
> > unavailable. Why is this? I have an ASUS Slot A K7V motherboard
> that
> > supports AGP 2x and 4x. In setup, I have AGP set to 4x and
> fastwrite
> > enabled. I installed the AGP miniport driver off of the cd that
> came with
> > my motherboard. I have the Radeon 64mb DDR card. What am I doing
> wrong?
> > How do I enable AGP?
> >
> > When installing the AGP driver, there was an option to install in
> normal
> > mode or turbo mode. Not knowing the difference, I chose normal
> mode. I
> > have since uninstalle and reinstalled in turbo mode, but still don't
> have
> > AGP enabled in the DX diagnostic tool.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > - Adam

jad

usually this has to do with the chipset drivers not installed
properly.

> Yes, it shows disabled and is grayed out so I can't enable it.
>
> - Adam
>
> "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> > AGP acceleration?
> >
> > "Adam Cook" <ajcook@SCREWLARAZA!!satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I recently had to format my hard drive and re-install
everything.
> > When I
> > > run the DirectX diagnostic program, the AGP test is grayed out
and
> > says
> > > unavailable. Why is this? I have an ASUS Slot A K7V
motherboard
> > that
> > > supports AGP 2x and 4x. In setup, I have AGP set to 4x and
> > fastwrite
> > > enabled. I installed the AGP miniport driver off of the cd that
> > came with
> > > my motherboard. I have the Radeon 64mb DDR card. What am I
doing
> > wrong?
> > > How do I enable AGP?
> > >
> > > When installing the AGP driver, there was an option to install
in
> > normal
> > > mode or turbo mode. Not knowing the difference, I chose normal
> > mode. I
> > > have since uninstalle and reinstalled in turbo mode, but still
don't
> > have
> > > AGP enabled in the DX diagnostic tool.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help?
> > >
> > > - Adam

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 00:22:26 GMT, "Adam Cook"
<ajcook@SCREWLARAZA!!satx.rr.com> wrote:

>I recently had to format my hard drive and re-install everything. When I
>run the DirectX diagnostic program, the AGP test is grayed out and says
>unavailable. Why is this? I have an ASUS Slot A K7V motherboard that
>supports AGP 2x and 4x. In setup, I have AGP set to 4x and fastwrite
>enabled. I installed the AGP miniport driver off of the cd that came with
>my motherboard. I have the Radeon 64mb DDR card. What am I doing wrong?
>How do I enable AGP?
>
>When installing the AGP driver, there was an option to install in normal
>mode or turbo mode. Not knowing the difference, I chose normal mode. I
>have since uninstalle and reinstalled in turbo mode, but still don't have
>AGP enabled in the DX diagnostic tool.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>- Adam

If that's a VIA chipset, Adam, you should install the AGP driver in
Turbo mode. I found AGP wasn't properly enabled until I did that,
although I never came across any documentation that specifically said
so.

Also, with all Ati videocards except some 9600s, it's best to disable
fastwrites. Apparently, with the most recent drivers, fastwrites
should also be disabled even for 9600s.

HTH patrickp

"Adam Cook" <ajcook@SCREWLARAZA!!satx.rr.com> wrote in message

> When installing the AGP driver, there was an option to install in normal
> mode or turbo mode. Not knowing the difference, I chose normal mode. I
> have since uninstalle and reinstalled in turbo mode, but still don't have
> AGP enabled in the DX diagnostic tool.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> - Adam

Try the usual suspects - remove then install chipset drivers, then remove
and install catalyst drivers... if you still have problems reinstall latest
DirectX and start from the beginning...

Have you performed all the diagnostic checks on the dxdiag page? I've seen
it where it disabled it until I'd tested it all...

Probably something weird going on somewhere.

HTH,

Neil