[SOLVED] Dying behind walls in video games after switching ISPs?

Dec 30, 2021
Heya,

I recently switched ISPs to upgrade my internet. My download and upload have increased dramatically so I'm pretty happy. However, I've noticed now that in FPS games, CS:GO specifically, I keep getting shot and dying behind walls. For example, I'll peek an angle, move back, then die 0.75 seconds or sometimes even an entire second later in the same spot that I already moved away from. I'm super confused as I've already investigated the common causes for this. My ping is stable at 40ms to the servers I'm playing, I'm not getting any loss or choke in my connection and I'm on ethernet. I pinged google through cmd and my connection was a consistent 32-35 ms. I called my ISP and they said everything looked normal and reset my router on their end which didn't fix anything. I have over 5k hours in CS:GO and now the game is almost unplayable. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Speedtest results:
Ping: 9ms
Download: 283ms
Upload: 29ms

Specs
GPU: GTX 2060 SUPER
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M

Solution
You have pretty much done all the tests and proved you do not have a actual network issue. Maybe it is just coincidence that it now happens after you changed ISP. Could be a patch to the game or maybe microsoft updated snuck in a update to the video drivers.

In any case when it is a actual network issue causing a game lag problem you will almost always see packet loss or groups of large ping spikes.

What you want to do though is run continuances ping test in background windows while you play the game. It might be the problem is very random or it only occurs where then is other traffic running on the link.
You have pretty much done all the tests and proved you do not have a actual network issue. Maybe it is just coincidence that it now happens after you changed ISP. Could be a patch to the game or maybe microsoft updated snuck in a update to the video drivers.

In any case when it is a actual network issue causing a game lag problem you will almost always see packet loss or groups of large ping spikes.

What you want to do though is run continuances ping test in background windows while you play the game. It might be the problem is very random or it only occurs where then is other traffic running on the link.

Solution