deathshound7007

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
I bought this GPU (Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 Aorus Master) roughly 5 months ago and had no problems for a bit but then suddenly started having issues where my monitors would get no display at all until I turned my computer off and on again. Happened a few times before I decided to change my display cables and see if it was a cable or port issue but that hasn't resolved it. I changed between multiple DP and HDMI cables and ports.

I assumed it was just a power problem with the house (Not that old of a house but it's from the 1950's and we had an electrician over once which said he found illegal wiring or something along those lines. I'd also have my monitors flicker from time to time when turning my fan on or off which is also plugged into the surge protector that most of my computer is also plugged into).

Now this problem is happening a LOT. I'm at the point where I will lose display on my monitors, turn my computer off, turn it on and still have no display. I've also noticed that I lose all sound to any game that I am playing at the time (I assume the games are crashing as soon as I lose display) but I can still hear people talking in discord so I think that my GPU is dying rather than it being a power problem. (I should mention that I am using a 850w power supply and my GPU is on the basic stock settings. I haven't tweaked anything, nor know how to anyway)
I should also mention that there are also times where my GPU doesn't come up at all within the RGBFusion software which I have to use to change the lights or little display on my GPU. When that happens my GPU just does the standard rainbow affect and the display cycles through the default gifs and such.

EDIT: Just to clarify; I don't get any screen tearing or anything similar. My GPU's power indications are never on or flashing and I don't get any error messages. I just have the problem of losing display to all of my monitors.
EDIT: Accidently typed 750w instead of 850w.

Last edited:

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
If the monitors never turn off, then the it could be a cabling issue. Power supply's in monitors and computers will alway smooth out power draw and issues with inconsistent supply so I doubt it would be house electrics

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
I bought this GPU (Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 Aorus Master) roughly 5 months ago and had no problems for a bit but then suddenly started having issues where my monitors would get no display at all until I turned my computer off and on again. Happened a few times before I decided to change my display cables and see if it was a cable or port issue but that hasn't resolved it. I changed between multiple DP and HDMI cables and ports.

I assumed it was just a power problem with the house (Not that old of a house but it's from the 1950's and we had an electrician over once which said he found illegal wiring or something along those lines. I'd also have my monitors flicker from time to time when turning my fan on or off which is also plugged into the surge protector that most of my computer is also plugged into).

Now this problem is happening a LOT. I'm at the point where I will lose display on my monitors, turn my computer off, turn it on and still have no display. I've also noticed that I lose all sound to any game that I am playing at the time (I assume the games are crashing as soon as I lose display) but I can still hear people talking in discord so I think that my GPU is dying rather than it being a power problem. (I should mention that I am using a 750w power supply and my GPU is on the basic stock settings. I haven't tweaked anything, nor know how to anyway)
I should also mention that there are also times where my GPU doesn't come up at all within the RGBFusion software which I have to use to change the lights or little display on my GPU. When that happens my GPU just does the standard rainbow affect and the display cycles through the default gifs and such.

EDIT: Just to clarify; I don't get any screen tearing or anything similar. My GPU's power indications are never on or flashing and I don't get any error messages. I just have the problem of losing display to all of my monitors.
I had a pretty similar problem, i have a way worse pc comparing it to yours, but maybe it is the same issue, basically i started tweaking with xmp, as it was the first time i actually saw xpm, and enabled it, everything was alright for around 2-3 weeks, then the same symptoms as you said, screen goes black, games crash, but videos and discord keep going, i disabled xpm and altough i sacrificed little bit of perfomance, the pc wouldn't, you know, crash, seemed like the ram got unstable and made games and display die, im not sure if you have xmp enabled, but if you do try disabling it.

Last edited:

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
do this try to use your gpu on generic os driver to see if it goes off and the use the gpu-z rendering to stress test gpu check detil of it with hwinfo it wil give your voltages fans speed and temps in system on test so report any result of it .

deathshound7007

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
do this try to use your gpu on generic os driver to see if it goes off and the use the gpu-z rendering to stress test gpu check detil of it with hwinfo it wil give your voltages fans speed and temps in system on test so report any result of it .
This is while running the GPU-Z render test
QDhC24T.png

Vax

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

Now this problem is happening a LOT. I'm at the point where I will lose display on my monitors, turn my computer off, turn it on and still have no display. I've also noticed that I lose all sound to any game that I am playing at the time (I assume the games are crashing as soon as I lose display) but I can still hear people talking in discord so I think that my GPU is dying rather than it being a power problem. (I should mention that I am using a 750w power supply and my GPU is on the basic stock settings. I haven't tweaked anything, nor know how to anyway)

I'd test your RAM, maybe try and unmount and remount your RAM to see if that fixes it. Also ensure you have the RAM socketed in the primaries and not secondary slots.
I'd try to unmount and remount your GPU, incl. cables.
I'd try to use a flashlight to look into the ports for the DP/HDMI cables on your monitor and your GPU to see if there's any obvious damage to the structure inside the ports.
I'd try to use another monitor if you have one, to see if it works. It might be your monitor's dying, and not your GPU.
I'd try to plug the cables going to your GPU into different ports on your PSU if any are available.

deathshound7007

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
Your PSU is too weak. What model is it BTW ?
Ah sorry I typoed. I'm using an 850w PSU, the Corsair RM850x

I'd test your RAM, maybe try and unmount and remount your RAM to see if that fixes it. Also ensure you have the RAM socketed in the primaries and not secondary slots.
I'd try to unmount and remount your GPU, incl. cables.
I'd try to use a flashlight to look into the ports for the DP/HDMI cables on your monitor and your GPU to see if there's any obvious damage to the structure inside the ports.
I'd try to use another monitor if you have one, to see if it works. It might be your monitor's dying, and not your GPU.
I'd try to plug the cables going to your GPU into different ports on your PSU if any are available.
I'll try all of this now thanks.
  • I've started with remounting my RAM. They 're socketed in the primaries. Also checked the slots and it all looks perfectly fine.
  • Remounted my GPU. Also checked the slot and it all looks perfectly fine as well.
  • Checked the DP and HDMI ports for the Monitors, GPU and the cables themselves. All seem perfectly fine. I've also gone ahead and switched ports on my monitors.
  • Plugged the power cables into different ports on the PSU.
It may or may not take some time to work through this though so apologies for slow updates. There are times where I have nothing happen for a couple of days, like for instance; I reset my computer on Tuesday and had no problems until today. Then there are times where it happens multiple times in a row to the point where I just can't use my computer at all for awhile that day. I also want to be certain with what the problem is so that I'm not replacing the wrong thing. I don't have the money for that right now while I'm studying. (funnily enough all computer work too..)

9OI9JW4.jpg
tcYfdJL.jpg

Noticed this while remounting my GPU. Just want to check if this is normal or not. I thought it was like oil or something but it can't be wiped off.

Last edited:

deathshound7007

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
Update:
  1. While checking the DP / HDMI cables and ports on both the monitors and the GPU for any damage I went ahead and changed my secondary monitor from a DP to HDMI and plugged them into HDMI ports 1 and 2 on my GPU.
  2. My secondary monitor lost display but my primary monitor didn't.
  3. Without turning my computer off, I tried plugging the secondary monitor into the 3rd HDMI port on my GPU and nothing happened.
  4. Without turning my computer off, I then switched my primary and secondary HDMI cables and they are both on again.
Seeming like it may be more of a monitor problem which I definitely prefer though I don't think my monitor is still covered by warranty at this point. I originally bought it back in July 2020 and had it replaced with another one a month or so later as it had dead pixels. (27" ASUS TUF Gaming 1440p 165Hz)