Dying Hard Drive (any way to fix?)

Dec 30, 2018
Hard Drive is absolutely bonkers.

(Windows 7 32bit Ultimate)
GTX 1050 TI
ST1000D Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB
Intel i3-3220 3.3GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM

I think it is 'dying', but it is not the clicking type, no. I believe it is a different and strange issue in of itself. I'm not a PC savvy nor will I pretend like one but I try my best to describe the details as precise as possible.

I have began another reformatting process of the computer's OS as I type this but I guarantee doing this will not revert everything back to normal.

I assume that once the process is complete, it will place me at a pristine performing desktop once again... temporarily, atleast. Everything runs fine, as one would expect up until I begin to install the necessary driver(s), one of which is the graphics card driver, which I also need chrome for to visit its webpage. Once I have both chrome and the gpu driver I restart the PC to apply its settings. After the bios screen flashes past I found the PC running Chkdsk automatically. Well, I had the option to skip it, or wait for it to find any issues on its own. I of course, hoping this would somehow work, chose the latter.

Apparently, it had already found a bunch of errors. NVIDIA registry errors most of it. Now I believe that it may not be an issue with the software itself but the way I have downloaded it. I have already noticed that the hard drive may well stop running from time to time, and I mean completely stop, making the system freeze and only allowing the cursor to move without being able to interact with anything, until the hard drive runs again. It runs again, making a completely halted progress bar to zoom to somewhere around 80% in an instant. I assume, due to the short absence of the hard drive it skipped parts necessary to complete the installation, finishing it without noticing any flaws that may have been present. Of course, unaware me brushed this off thinking after the system froze it may have been running the process in the background. I restarted and the Chkdsk thing happened, registry errors popped up, and once I had been brought to the Welcome windows screen it launched way longer than any healthy PC. The desktop opens up after a long wait and everything was already frozen except the cursor. I could move it around but not be able to do anything with it. A few minutes had passed and the items I pointed my cursor to highlighted, making me believe that the freeze was over. So I opened chrome... Then I waited for about 8 minutes before it opened. Clicked on the search bar and it took about 4 seconds before allowing me to type. Now this happened recently, as because this issue has been happening for months now occassionally trying if it finally works, but doesn't, which leaves me unsurprised. But sometimes in those months it lets me as far as being able to install almost every drivers necessary. Until I tried to install service pack 1 next, which brings to an error. Nor could I install any Microsoft visual redistributable file. I guess everytime i download something my HDD stops 'mid-air' causing files to be corrupted and the system in a complete freeze

Just to add I have also tried switching an OS disc, both Win 7 and Win 10 but neither works. I have my eyes on the hard drive and i believe it is the main culprit

If anyone can be of assistance to me i'd highly appreciate it. If the HDD is broken and in need of a replacement or it could still be fixed software-side please let me know. If I wasn't specific enough also let me know. Thanks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What is the source of this copy of Windows 7? It's very unusual to see Windows 7 Ultimate on a build like this.

Do you have another hard drive to test? If there *is* physical damage -- you haven't run any hard drive tests -- the hard drive would be unrepairable.

Dec 30, 2018

The copy of the windows I got was from the Microsoft website. I installed it but it is not genuine since I did not have the product key.

No I do not have another hard drive to test on. If it does have physical damage it would be terribly difficult to tell since it seemingly looks brand new and sounds as expected. The problem is that it interrupts itself from time to time so I don't know what to look for to see whats wrong.