Dying HD, won't boot, even from W7 recovery disk!

hairyfox

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Hi there,

Am writing this on my phone seeing as I cannot use my laptop any more so please bear with me!

Ok here is a potted history of the problems I have had:

After numerous hard resets due to my 2010 Dell Inspiron Laptop overheating or crashing, I discovered through the SMART utility that there were 14 sectors 'pending'. During a mass transfer of photos etc from my camera to picasa, it crashed again due to overheating. Thereafter, the HD light would permanently remain on when I tried to open the folder containing the photos I was transferring. This indicated to me that there was some corruption or similar defect in there at that location....

Sensing imminent failure I copied everything I could think of that was of value to an external HD. I couldn't do a full image or full backup as it was slightly too small for it all.

I then did chkdsk at startup, followed by chkdsk /r. This promptly found several bad sectors and attempted to repair them but this then proceeded to crash, hanging for hours at the same place with the usual constant HD activity. I then had to turn it off eventually as it had obviously not worked.

Turning it back on, I was presented with the 'boot device not found' error.

I then tried to use the Windows 7 recovery disk to try startup repair but after a very slow and drawn out loading process this failed on installation of drivers by giving a login error. I couldn't even get to the main recovery options menu. I had to then cold reset again.

Upon starting up again I was given the 'a read error occurred - press ctrl alt del to restart' error.

Now when I try to boot from the Windows 7 recovery cd or the Windows 7 installation cd it goes through the process of loading, with the starting windows screen, but eventually all I get is a black screen with a white cursor and that's it. No more HD activity, nothing. I have left it for 3 hours in that state to see if anything happens but no.

Can anyone please think of any more possible ways forward? I am completely stumped by this one!!!

Thanks.
H

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014
At this point you may consider replacing your hard drive with new one and keep the old drive safe. Once you get your system up running again then the next procedure is to recover your files from the old faulty drive.