Question Dying HDD and New HDD

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
So my current 2tb is dying. Blue screens are always showing with "Critical Process Died" stopcode. I tried uninstalling the latest quality update and still this happens. I tried the cmd sfc /scannow and it said some cant be repaired.

So my question is if i buy a new 2tb HDD, install an OS (with my old one disconnected so it wont be a dual boot drive) can i access my files on my old HDD when i connect it after OS installation?

maverick0011

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Actually you can keep the drive itself connected, you will just simply boot to the new drive, make sure to put the old one on sata 2 and put the new one on sata1. I recommend getting a drive larger than 2tb. I also recommend upgrading to an SSD as your primary boot drive if you can afford it. The drive itself may not be bad, Just because you ran a check and it said some files couldn't be repaired doesn't always mean you have bad sectors. FYI I'm an old school Tom's Hardware user, my old account got deleted/wiped somehow.

Reactions: sitkces

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
Actually you can keep the drive itself connected, you will just simply boot to the new drive, make sure to put the old one on sata 2 and put the new one on sata1. I recommend getting a drive larger than 2tb. I also recommend upgrading to an SSD as your primary boot drive if you can afford it. The drive itself may not be bad, Just because you ran a check and it said some files couldn't be repaired doesn't always mean you have bad sectors. FYI I'm an old school Tom's Hardware user, my old account got deleted/wiped somehow.

Will not disconnecting the old drive make a double boot drive?

maverick0011

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Will not disconnecting the old drive make a double boot drive?
No, it won't as long as you tell your system to boot to your windows install media itself and then tell windows to install and format the new drive. I've done it as a precaution before, however it's not needed if done right with the drives setup in the correct order :) I would suggest a Seagate Barracuda pro 4tb drive if you can afford it and getting a Samsung Evo 860 500gb for your boot drive. This will speed up your access times, also the barracuda pro comes with 2 years free data recovery.

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
No, it won't as long as you tell your system to boot to your windows install media itself and then tell windows to install and format the new drive. I've done it as a precaution before, however it's not needed if done right with the drives setup in the correct order :) I would suggest a Seagate Barracuda pro 4tb drive if you can afford it and getting a Samsung Evo 860 500gb for your boot drive. This will speed up your access times, also the barracuda pro comes with 2 years free data recovery.

I actually dont have much money right now thats why i only want a 2tb drive but then in the future i might get an ssd for a faster boot drive

maverick0011

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
I actually dont have much money right now thats why i only want a 2tb drive but then in the future i might get an ssd for a faster boot drive
Okay, Make sure you get at least a 7200RPM drive. I found this one on newegg on sale with an extra percentage off too: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822184773?Item=N82E16822184773 this is supposedly 256mb cache and 7200 RPM. If not then I would suggest the 7200rpm version of the firecuda if you can find one.

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
This doesn't necessary mean anything about HDD. You have to diagnose the HDD first.
Can you show a screenshot from HDtune health?

Is there a rule against necro bumping? I lost internet for a long time. I'm afraid i cant. As soon as i attempt to log in as a usee it turns into a blue scren last time i checked health was 5% and performance is 100% lol

TRENDING THREADS