[SOLVED] Dying hdd

Mar 28, 2020
Hi all erm my pcs other hdd is dying the system keeps saying the hdd is failing and needs to be removed from the os.

My question is how can I clone the hdd fully and I mean I have alot of videos and pictures on it and can't afford to lose any of it the system is Ubuntu 18.04 maybe some build of Ubuntu I don't like to use Windows as it sucks Ubuntu is great in my opinion

Don't say use a hirens boot cd as that shows the drive but all video files are just. File format it can give me the name of the video but not an actual format that can be played.

So how can I clone the dying hdd to a new one with out losing files or the drive dying half way through the job

And yes I know I'm working against the hdd I know it can die any point so need to work out how to clone it before it pushes up daisys

Much thanks to anyone who has a real answer

Solution
Successful cloning depends on how the drive is dying, and how far gone it is.

Many tools can skip or ignore corrupt/bad sectors. But you're possibly skipping actual data that used to reside there.

dd in Linux, CloneZilla (only works for the same size or larger target drive.

I mean I have alot of videos and pictures on it and can't afford to lose any of it
Why was this the only copy of that data?
Drives die. All of them, eventually.
The way to protect your data is before the drive starts to die.
Mar 28, 2020
assuming the drive is not encrypted, you can use Clonezilla
Download and make a bootable USB, mount the two drive and it will create a copy

https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

Hi

Yeah I seen clonezilla on Google but with the drive is the mist of dying would that probably be the best idea??

What about recovering a dead drive is that possible or just voodoo haha

Would clonezilla work on Ubuntu??

I thank you for your help

USAFRet

Titan

Many tools can skip or ignore corrupt/bad sectors. But you're possibly skipping actual data that used to reside there.

I mean I have alot of videos and pictures on it and can't afford to lose any of it

Solution
Mar 28, 2020

I know they die I just never thought to back it up plus I thought family had copys of the video's and photos turns out I was wrong... I blame the family for leaving me to do all this work I've got the only copys wedding videos of my nan and grandad can't afford to lose it and yeah I should have burned copies to disks but dvds get wrecked.

But I don't know how far the hdd might go I've ran hdtune on the drive and the drive was green on the error scan thing well I only quick scanned it as I just didn't have the time it run a full test on results but Linux calms that's its dying and at a couple of times it's gone off line I've changed all the leads in case it's the leads but still failing

My plan was to get a portable hdd of the same size or maybe bigger depends on the price of it and try copy everything over I was thinking maybe try and manually copy everything from one to the other but my thoughts was what if the drives fails half way through

I've seen this dd thing in Ubuntu and can't for the live of me work out how to use it so thought software might be a better option as I'm not technically Linux smart

OK so say worse case the drive dies during copy is there any program that can copy date from the dead drive to a portable/ new drive

And would clonezilla really be a good idea to use everyone says its fantastic but I've never had to clone a drive before

I thank you for your help

Mar 28, 2020
Cloning does not fix anything. Corrupt source = corrupt target.
Nor can it read from a 'dead' drive.

See if you can just copy stuff to a different physical drive.

OK so it's a race against the dying drive I could possibly copy say 500GB and then the drive dies its a large enough drive so it will take ages to copy the whole thing hmm

So there's no way to copy the drive via software that can survive the copy as I don't think the drive will copy fully in like 10 minutes by dragging and dropping there's just so much data on that drive and yes I'm an ediot for not backing up I should have done that this time I'll will