Question Dying motherboard? Keyboard not working

Dec 10, 2019
Recently my keyboard stopped working properly...specifically the 1,A,S,Z keys no longer work. I figured it was just the keyboard so I plugged another one in. Had the exact same issues. Check the connector for corrosion, blew it out. Same thing.

Now my mouse keeps disconnecting.

Being a complete novice with PC repair....could this be the motherboard? If not, what could it be?

Hopefully this is in the right section, I did not see a troubleshooting section.

Dec 10, 2019
Can be motherboard.
Can be RAM or CPU as well.
Can be Power supply issue.
Can be malware/viruz.
Can be bad driver issue
Can it be Windows update issue ?

Thanks. My first thought was a virus but the scans come up clean. I was thinking of reinstalling Windows to see if it helped, but decided if I'm going through the work I might as well update my CPU and motherboard since they are outdated. Bought new ones today, so I'll try to install them tomorrow, along with reinstalling Windows. Hopefully this corrects the issue.

Dec 19, 2019
Thanks. My first thought was a virus but the scans come up clean. I was thinking of reinstalling Windows to see if it helped, but decided if I'm going through the work I might as well update my CPU and motherboard since they are outdated. Bought new ones today, so I'll try to install them tomorrow, along with reinstalling Windows. Hopefully this corrects the issue.
Did this work?

Dec 10, 2019
Did this work?

It looks like it was a software issue. I had tried restoring Windows to a restore point and that didn't help so I just bought a new cpu, mobo, and ram...I needed the upgrade anyway.

I used my old hard drive that had Win7 on it but when booting the keyboard had the same issue in bios and win7. And now the mouse wasn't working.

Attempted to install Win10 but ran into a missing driver error. After messing with that for hours, I decided I'll just have a shop do the install for me, so I took it to them. They hooked up their keyboard and it had the same keyboard issue...even in bios.

So 3 keyboards, none worked properly in bios or Win7 even after restoring. They got Win10 installed and everything's been fine since then. Thankfully!

TRENDING THREADS