Question Dying psu

olaf_r

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
Hello! I built a new pc like a month ago and everygame and everything else worked perfectly. Yesterday my pc when i open a game it just restarts. I've done the prime95 test and then it doesnt crash. When i open a game or do msi afterburner test my pc crashes. All the parts are new except psu which is like over 5 years old.
Specs:
I5-9400F
1050 ti 4gb
16gb ddr4 ram
M.2 500gb ssd
Asus prime b360m-a MB
650w gold seasonic psu (5 years+)
I have read other articles about it and tried to fix it but it all comes out to psu. Kinda sure i just need a new one.

EDIT :
The previous system shutdown was unexpected 6008, this is the number or error i get when i check eventvwr

EDIT 2 :
Just got in game and it did not crash. Everything looked fine except gpu usage in fortnite and csgo it went upto 98% but almost immediately dropped down.

Last edited:
If it was dying PSU, your PC would experience shutdowns and unable to power it up for few minutes or hour.
Since your setup isnt power hungry at all to overload your PSU.
The signs of dying PSU is mostly overheating (I mean really hot on touch).

OCCT has option to stress your CPU and GPU. But beware it says some warnings tho. (It uses much more power than regular gaming).

Have you updated windows to the latest point?

olaf_r

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
My windows is up to date. When i run the prime95 stress test and HWmonitoring at the same time only thing that is maybe too hot is my cpu, it gets around 70-80 degrees celsius