[SOLVED] Dying PSU?

Jun 30, 2021
Hey guys.

So my computer started restarting itself while under heavy stress.
Some electrical noise (not beeping), freezes, BSOD and then restarts. Sometimes it does a disk repair.
I checked the temperatures before the crashes, and my CPU is between 60 and 70 degrees Celsius and the CPU cooling fans are going crazy.
Also, I checked for any viruses and didn't find any.

My specs are:
Windows 10 64 bit
Motherboard: ASUS F1A55-V
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 631 2.6GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 560 Ti OC
RAM: NANYA 2GB PC3-10600U DDR3 x4
Storage: Seagate 500Gb HDD
PSU: HKC V-POWER 650W

Could the PSU cause these restarts? I didn't had this problem before, it started a couple of weeks ago.

Solution
Given that the hardware is so old, it could practically be ANYTHING including the motherboard. Most likely this is a power supply or motherboard issue and given that your power supply was not terrific quality even when it was new, and now is likely pretty old, that's definitely where I'd start.

I'd also consider that given the age of the parts, if you've never repasted the CPU cooler or haven't done so in a long time, that might have something to do with it as well. Probably a good idea to pull the cooler and CPU, clean the old paste off with isopropyl alcohol and apply fresh thermal paste regardless.
Given that the hardware is so old, it could practically be ANYTHING including the motherboard. Most likely this is a power supply or motherboard issue and given that your power supply was not terrific quality even when it was new, and now is likely pretty old, that's definitely where I'd start.

I'd also consider that given the age of the parts, if you've never repasted the CPU cooler or haven't done so in a long time, that might have something to do with it as well. Probably a good idea to pull the cooler and CPU, clean the old paste off with isopropyl alcohol and apply fresh thermal paste regardless.

Solution
Jun 30, 2021

Well, I haven't really pasted the CPU since I got this PC, so that will be the first thing I will do. If that doesn't help then new PSU I guess, and let's hope it solves the issue. Can you recommend a cheap but reliable PSU?

Jun 30, 2021
So I applied the thermal paste to the CPU and it reduced the heat but it didn’t solved the issue. Actually it got worse because now the PC restarts in idle. Next thing I think i will do is buying a new PSU and if that doesn’t work then I don’t know what to do.

Jun 30, 2021
Thanks for all the replies. It seems that the problem was my HDD so I replaced it with a SSD. It works like a charm now. I will take the advice from you guys and replace the PSU, as soon as possible aswell.