[SOLVED] Dynamic Disk missing / failed after replacing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

elracraft

Reputable
Dec 13, 2017
I just replaced a 2TB WD Green drive with a 6TB WD Blue drive, I plugged the old 2TB in via a usb converter and it shows as Missing / Failed in Disk management, when I replaced it again with the 6TB drive inside the case, same thing in Disk management.
(update: it apparently was a Dynamic disk, but it was only one Drive. Not in any raid configuration.)
When I tried to Reactive it, it doesn't work, also tried refreshing the window and rescanning the drives. It's not the connectors as the new HD works fine on USB or via the Sata cables.

Did I really just lose all my data on this disk just by taking it out the case? Is there anyway to recover the data? Thanks in advance for any help.

Windows 10 PC.

Solution
If you r-click the LDM partition, what options do you see?

If you see "Remove ...", then remove the partition.

Then r-click the Dreistein partition and select "Insert the partition (undelete)". Apply Changes and reboot. Hopefully you should now have a basic NTFS partition.

elracraft

Reputable
Dec 13, 2017
Yes apparently it was a dynamic disk with 1 drive, from googling I already found out it should have been a basic drive right? I should best convert my other dynamic drives to basic safely somehow.

elracraft

Reputable
Dec 13, 2017
You cannot convert from dynamic to basic disk. You need to copy any files to another disk, then re-format it.
oh OK thanks. But will I get trouble if I remove these disks too? Or was this just a faulty hard drive. Was it a mistake on my part to set them as dynamic because though they're just one drive?

I checked in EaseUS partition master and there the drive shows as Lost Partition and I can't do anything with it either.

Then r-click the Dreistein partition and select "Insert the partition (undelete)". Apply Changes and reboot. Hopefully you should now have a basic NTFS partition.

Solution

elracraft

Reputable
Dec 13, 2017

which partition type should I choose please? MBR primary, MBR logical or GUID GPT?

Status
Not open for further replies.