[SOLVED] Dynamic disk recovery

Dec 1, 2019
Hi,

I accidentally extended a dynamic partition over a small empty section on another disk and then deleted that section. Now the whole partition is 'failed'. I know no files were on that small section. How can I recover the rest of the partition? It's around 1.5tb of my general usage over ~5 years, so is very precious to me, so I'd like to get it back if at all possible.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

Solution
@SnaG10, you don't need to do a full scan.

Just show us the very first window that pops up after you specify the drive you wish to work on. DMDE will display the partitions that it has found, including their sizes, start and end LBAs, indicators, etc.

It should take less than a minute for DMDE to find these partitions.

USAFRet

Titan
"It's around 1.5tb of my general usage over ~5 years, so is very precious to me. "

Why was there not a backup of this data?

To potentially 'recover':
TestDisk
Minitool Partition Recovery

Dec 1, 2019
I have backups of most of all super important things, docs & photos etc, but I'm worried that there's stuff in there I haven't. Ironically, I had just bought a HDD to back it all up..

Dec 1, 2019
It looks like I can recover it using the 'Recover data' tool. Am I correct in thinking I need space elsewhere to recover it to, or can it be recovered onto the same space?

@SnaG10, you don't need to do a full scan.

Just show us the very first window that pops up after you specify the drive you wish to work on. DMDE will display the partitions that it has found, including their sizes, start and end LBAs, indicators, etc.

It should take less than a minute for DMDE to find these partitions.

Solution
Dec 1, 2019
If you double-click the first second "HD Windows B..." volume and expand the Root, do you see your file folder structure?

If so, then the safest approach would be to recover the files to another the drive. However, you will need to pay US$20 for the basic version of DMDE. The freeware version only recovers a limited number of files.

Last edited: