[SOLVED] Dynamic Vcore vs AMD Overclock

Renuzit66sick

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
Hello guys, i want to overclock my ryzen and i have 2 options that let me set a voltage value on my bios (b450m ds3h), Dynamic Vcore wich let me introduce an offset of voltage and AMD Manual CPU Overclock in wich i can introduce an specific value of voltage and cpu mhz. Wich one should i use? thanks!

Solution
I've done both on a 2700X. In my experience:
  • Leaving the VCore and speed on auto seems to have better idle power consumption over time since voltage has a higher impact than clock speed and Vcore can go down to <1.0v
  • Setting a fixed clock speed and finding where the lowest VCore the system remains stable can lead to better sustained performance in stress tests.
    • As a test of this on a Ryzen 2700X I had, I ran Prime95 at stock settings, then with a fixed 4.0GHz and something like 1.25 VCore (this was the lowest I could get it to). On stock, the processor dropped down to 3.9GHz within like 15 minutes. With the fixed clock speed, it held that while remaining below the temperature of the stock setting once things stabilized...
Hello guys, i want to overclock my ryzen and i have 2 options that let me set a voltage value on my bios (b450m ds3h), Dynamic Vcore wich let me introduce an offset of voltage and AMD Manual CPU Overclock in wich i can introduce an specific value of voltage and cpu mhz. Wich one should i use? thanks!
Depends on the way you are overclocking, if you are setting core frequency manually, set voltage is better but will stay same all the time.

I've done both on a 2700X. In my experience:
  • Leaving the VCore and speed on auto seems to have better idle power consumption over time since voltage has a higher impact than clock speed and Vcore can go down to <1.0v
  • Setting a fixed clock speed and finding where the lowest VCore the system remains stable can lead to better sustained performance in stress tests.
    • As a test of this on a Ryzen 2700X I had, I ran Prime95 at stock settings, then with a fixed 4.0GHz and something like 1.25 VCore (this was the lowest I could get it to). On stock, the processor dropped down to 3.9GHz within like 15 minutes. With the fixed clock speed, it held that while remaining below the temperature of the stock setting once things stabilized.
However, the idle power consumption advantage isn't very large per se. It was something like a difference of 5-10W. So that would've been like pennies per year of savings.

Solution