Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernie Fresh

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
perhaps the target misses the point?

server level cooling will be loud
big air noctua wins over water in most cases

be cautious when buying a very specific type of motherboard?
and more cautious with the 1 type of cooler we think is bestish?

target acquired..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let me rephrase that: People who read the motherboard review want to know about coolers that fit. This is the information they need, but I don't think they're finding it.

Amdlova

Distinguished
i have spend a little time to find the perfect case for a Micro super mini itx build. and dont find a right cooler in my country. that noctua if have the 1150 backplate will be Supremus. Iam a noctua user for a long long time. I think i will die before the fan stop. :D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

With the universal mounting kit, the model number was NH-U9B SE2. Find one and buy it before they're all gone.

HormusPeston

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
The name Dynatron sounds so much more cooler than Noctua. Unfortunately, it sounds 4 times as loud and cools half as much. Pity.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, Intel doesn't ship a cooler with LGA 2011 or 2011-v3 and recommends this model, which doesn't fit narrow ILM:
Intel_TS13X.jpg

So, they leave you to figure narrow ILM out on your own. Because narrow ILM is supposed to be for servers, where custom-sized solutions are usually needed.

Bernie Fresh

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
I shall also rephrase
information provided about coolers could be deduced from the articles picture.
enthusiast level hardware, both chipset and size

pulling the stock fans from dynatrons and adding something controllable? vantec tornado, same relative power/size/noise
there even seems to be other options available even with directional and space mounting demands
"The cooler bracket also seems to fit a Corsair H100i/h80i as seen in Linus's video"
a comment from the initial review for this motherboard.

so this article isnt a ILM type cooler review or a asrock x99e-itx/ac cooler review.
I was initially drawn by the 2U 3U coolers, as I use 3U and 4U server cases for gaming systems
nearly ironic as I am the "target"... commenting
Ill agree, the title(enter intelligent constructive criticism here):D

cheers

That is an amazing warranty for the Noctua cooler if it includes the fan/bearings. I mean, mine is still spinning over 6 years later and the PC it is in, has had VERY little downtime in 6 years. It runs 24/7 and apparently if I was sold a 6 year warranty on mine, I guess it just expired.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The NH-U9DX i4 is based on the NH-U9B SE2, which has the same height, fits the more-common square ILM, is already being discontinued, and has been reviewed tons of places. So there's supposed to be a certain understanding here that this article is specifically about Narrow ILM. I even had the words "Narrow ILM" in the original title. It got nixed, hence my first comment.

Curious review!

With the scramble to have the biggest and best cooler for the least amount of money, it's interesting to see a review on coolers that are built around a certain form-factor.

If the Thermalright Macho 90 has a Narrow ILM mounting capability, I wonder how it would have faired?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
See? Someone else who doesn't understand what this article is about. But unlike people who missed the article completely, you probably saw it and didn't read it.

I will repeat: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac is a desktop board with narrow ILM that includes the smaller of the two server coolers in the article. The article seeks a better solution for owners of the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac.

People who put Narrow ILM 2P motherboards in a workstation would be a secondary market concerning this X99E-ITX/ac alternative cooling article.

Too many people just want their heads cracked open and the information dumped in with minimal effort, and, oddly enough, are willing to put in effort to make it that way. A couple good examples, on a related subject, are people complaining about the use of Delta-Kelvin, especially when it is used interchangeably in articles with Delta-Celsius. Or, with the Thermalright Macho round-up, the complaint that the data was meaningless without a comparison with a something else they were familiar with - like the Noctua NH-D15.

I do not mind people having high expectations, but they have to realize that it is a two-way street. If someone makes an article then, you know, perhaps the readers should actually read and appreciate it - in the full sense of the word, not just in the sense of liking it.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I would be more interested Crash if you guys would take the fan off the R24 and replace it with the fan from someone else that might be controllable. It would be interesting, in my mind, to see what the R24 could do with a different fan (possibly one that would work within a gaming case) for an SFF build.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The NH-D15 Fits! But only if your modules are single-sided, and it still pushed against them. As the article says, if you like that but don't want the fitment problem, use the NH-D14.

I should build a machine like that. I have the brackets. Suggest a case for me that has a horizontal ITX motherboard tray and a side inlet, other than the Cubitek Mini Tank that is no longer available :)

The biggest issue with big air coolers is fitting them into smaller spaces. Even in bigger cases they might push to your RAM and if you don't have LP DDR then you have to buy more. Basically with some big air coolers you have to buy around the cooler rather than what you want. That is why water cooling is a better choice in some cases. I prefer my H100i to an air cooler as it looks cleaner to me.

But to each their own. I don't know of anyone who would use these server grade coolers at home unless they have a dedicated server room for it.

Bernie Fresh

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
The biggest issue with big air coolers is fitting them into smaller spaces. Even in bigger cases they might push to your RAM and if you don't have LP DDR then you have to buy more. Basically with some big air coolers you have to buy around the cooler rather than what you want. That is why water cooling is a better choice in some cases. I prefer my H100i to an air cooler as it looks cleaner to me.

But to each their own. I don't know of anyone who would use these server grade coolers at home unless they have a dedicated server room for it.

so youre saying maybe watercooling this asrock x99e-itx might give some interesting results. server grade coolers are ment to stay in the servers.
awsome

Bernie Fresh

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
See? Someone else who doesn't understand what this article is about. But unlike people who missed the article completely, you probably saw it and didn't read it.

I will repeat: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac is a desktop board with narrow ILM that includes the smaller of the two server coolers in the article. The article seeks a better solution for owners of the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac.

People who put Narrow ILM 2P motherboards in a workstation would be a secondary market concerning this X99E-ITX/ac alternative cooling article.

you do see how specific that is?

if your title was-
"own a asrock x99e-itx/ac? we compared these alternative coolers"
and maybe wait until youve got more than 2 coolers to test(besides stock and joke cooler),then I could understand a niche article.

not stupid at all, but ill take a part 2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a reader-requested follow-up to the X99E-ITX/ac motherboard review and a predecessor to an upcoming build article. I picked the coolers that were available at the time, apart from the one that only fit sideways, because most cases don't properly support sideways coolers.

Shakerhood style sounds fun, but that case is a bloated Full ATX cube that really deserves a full ATX motherboard. It's a double-height "desktop", by the old standard of Desktops, which were 3U rackmounts made to look like PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.