News Dynatron's EPYC Threadripper CPU Cooler Spins As Fast As A Jet Engine

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
These are definitely meant for server use where the noise won't matter as much. Still wouldn't want to hang around near a rack of servers with these things blaring. But, I do have a couple Dynatron CPU coolers like these on some 2U SuperMicro servers. But in my case, I got them to be more quiet. The heat sink is much more substantial than the stock Intel cooler. Those had to spin up regularly while the Dynatron can keep the fans running slow on the low powered CPUs in these servers. Very different from trying to cool a Threadripper.

mwestall

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
You do know that jet engines don't spin, right? Turboprops, yes, jets, no. Intakes may, or may not, have impellers, but hey...

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
My guess is that they are addressing a very small segment where people would use a TR PRO in a server room *&^%$#@!

3960X here: just using a Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3, very very good enough and... silent.

A long time ago, for practical reasons not interesting to describe here, I ended up being working inside a server room setting up and testing two racks: a Dell and a NetApp. I spent four days inside the damn room wearing ear plugs and a comfortable sweatshirt. It's no fun.

InvalidError

Titan
You do know that jet engines don't spin, right? Turboprops, yes, jets, no. Intakes may, or may not, have impellers, but hey...
Turbo jets do have a bunch (typically 10+) turbo-compressor discs sandwiched between stators to generate high flow at high pressure before the fuel injectors and flame holder that drop airflow to sub-sonic speed for combustion, then the exhaust passes through a couple more disc-stator stages to extract whatever power is needed to run the plane and prop/fan. Lots of spinning things even if most of them are hidden deeper inside the engine.

D

Deleted member 14196

When it is as loud as a Pratt and Whitney F135 at 40,000 lb thrust then I would be concerned.

Dsplover

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
I’ve used Dynatron for years now and while I’m using Audio Workstations where most users prefer quiet cooling like AIO, most of my builds are for mobile use, even outdoor venues where ventilation is a priority.

My 1U Dynatron coolers last for years and move air out of the back of the chassis efficiently. The noise is minimal compared to the 3 x Supermicro Barrel fans that suck in air from the front. But those are powerful Sunon MagLev fans that can be set to silent (low noise) or to Hoover Vacuum levels (performance) and they work.

Their designs work well. You want quiet? Use a bigger case like a tower and use water.

emayekayee

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008

Maybe I don't understand your comment, but as a commercial pilot I can tell you that jet engines most definitely spin. Not a a lot of thrust without all those blades spinning.

torbjorn.lindgren

Honorable
Jan 13, 2019
Most of what is normally termed jet engines do have lots of spinning parts inside and wouldn't work without them.

The term jet engine is a collection term for a wide wide variety of related engine types, even if we restrict it to "airbreathing jet engine" the two most common types of jet engines are turbojet and turbofan engines and both these require lots of spinning parts inside even if there's nothing outside that spins.

Ramjet and pulsejet engines don't have spinning parts inside but are rather rare compared to the common turbojets and turbofans engines, and are usually not what people mean when they say just "jets".

Since you mentioned Turboprop engines, the "power core" of these are very similar to a turbo jet engine and sometimes even share many parts with a related turbojet engine, but isn't classified as a "jet engine" because it's not providing propulsion directly from that core, instead it's converts that power to drives the external propeller that provides the propulsion.

InvalidError

Titan
You do know jet engines idle at 20,000 rpm, right?
Idle RPM is heavily dependent on engine size with larger engines having lower RPMs. The maximum RPM of high-pressure stages in the GE CF6 engine used on things like the 747 only run at 11k RPM max. Mid-size engines operate at 15-25k RPM.

20k idle would be for much smaller engines where compactness is more valuable than efficiency.

USAFRet

Titan
You do know jet engines idle at 20,000 rpm, right?
No they don't. Or at least, not nearly all of them.
And different parts rotate at different RPM.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/88434main_H-2122.pdf

GE-F110 for an F-16XL

N1 = fan rotor speed
N2 = core rotor speed
JBMOLM7.png