DZ77GA-70k New Video Cards don't work!

darkwhyt

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I am incredibly frustrated with this board. The computer runs great, but my video card is a gtx 480. Great card for its time, but old now. I have a tried about 4 different newer cards. A GTX 1060 and 1070, Radeon R9 390x, and even a GTX 980.

I get the same result every time. New card goes in.....turn everything on, and there's NO display, and all the USB ports don't work. Put older card back in and I'm fine.

There doesn't seem to be any support online. I tried to BIOS update through Window, which I know is risky, but it doesn't even work.

I read on some older forums that I run a significantly high risk of bricking my pc if I try to do a bios update.

I don't know if I want to risk it yet, so I wanted to ask the community first. I used to be a tech years ago, and was great even 7 years ago, but I am super rusty and lacking knowledge, so hopefully someone can help me out :)

Solution
I'd still suggest updating the bios. You can do it through the bios using a USB flashdrive. Just reading the 2nd to last bios update there have been a ton of fixes for that board. CPU-Z will show what version you're on under the motherboard tab.

yNGLyk8.png

These issues listed are most likely what's causing it.

-Fixed issue where computer hangs on boot after BIOS update if
UEFI boot is enabled.

-Fixed issue where computer powers down with certain graphics card
and USB front panel card reader installed

darkwhyt

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

There is a windows tool where I can do the bios upgrade in windows 7. I tried it, but it gave me errors saying it couldn't work and to do it through the bios is all.

darkwhyt

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

I am going to try it out now. A little nervous haha.

Question if you're still reading this. Does the USB need to be formatted a certain way, and does it need to be totally blank? Thanks!

Instructions for F7 BIOS Flash Update
The F7 BIOS Flash Update is available on Intel® Desktop Boards beginning in 2009. To see if your
board supports this feature, in BIOS Setup, check the Advanced > Boot Configuration menu for the
setting Display F7 to Update BIOS.
1. Download and save the Recovery BIOS (.BIO) file to a temporary directory.
2. Copy the .BIO to a USB thumb drive.
3. Plug the thumb drive into a USB port of the target computer.
4. Shut down the target computer.
5. Enable the F7 prompt display:
a. Power the computer on.
b. Enter the BIOS Setup by pressing F2 during boot.
c. Go to the Advanced > Boot Configuration menu.
d. Enable Display F7 to Update BIOS
e. Press F10 to save and exit.
6. During boot, when the F7 prompt is displayed, press F7 to enter the BIOS Flash Update tool.
7. Select the USB thumb drive and press Enter.
8. Select the .BIO file and press Enter
9. Confirm you want to update the BIOS by pressing Enter.
10. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete.
11. Remove the thumb drive.
12. Restart the computer.

Solution

Did you get your bios updated? Is the card being detected now?

darkwhyt

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Wanted to let everyone know (a little late...sorry) I was able to download a windows based version to install the most recent BIOS and it worked like a charm. At first it didn't want to take, so I had to restart. It actually froze during the new bios being istalled. Thought I was a gonner!!! I rebooted and did it again without any issues.

THank goodness.... Appreciatte all the help!

11 months late! haha, glad everything worked out for you.

Feb 18, 2019
hey i have a question and i need a reply real fast, i've purchased the same mother board which is dz77ga-70k and it's not working with my gtx 1050 ti but when i tried to run my pc without the graphic card it worked fine, the question is if i installed the latest bios the graphic card would run normally?

Feb 19, 2019
MSI has a tool for there Motherboard's called live update 6 to update the BIOS and other things. See if your Motherboard manufacturer has something like that.

Feb 18, 2019
i can't use my gtx 1050 ti at all it was working fine on another motherboard but it didn't work on the DZ77GA-70k, i just want to know that if i updated my bios, my graphic card would work?