e.g. "gpu should cost 150% of cpu price"

ChillaxedUpgrader

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I keep reading variations on this. I appreciate that it may have some worth as a 'rule of thumb', but only if you take the rule to apply specifically to either intel or amd, but not both, then withn either chosen category to simlary-priced manufacturers.

I can justify this comment with 2 facts: 1) comparably-performing cpus vary considerably in price between intel and amd. (I acknowledge that this is not clear cut because some consider that AMD don't really have equivalents to some intel cpus. However, this is generally supported by the popular opinion that you get more 'bang for your buck' from amd.)

2) same design reference gpus vary considerably in price between manufacturers.
Here is one example. Even clock speed doesn't seem related to price here.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=71&sort=a6

I was initially going to start a thread completely blasting suggestions that your gpu should cost x% more than your cpu. But I realised that you might be able to configure the above parameters to make such a formula workable.

What I don't know is how you would do this. How could you narrow the focus to make this work? Or is it just impossible? Is there any sense available from these 150%-200% comments or are they just trosh?

All opinions welcomely received!

Cheers.

Solution
I never look at price as an indicator of performance. Just because something costs more, it doesn't mean its better.

and the percentages are meaningless. It depends on what the system is for. If im building a system with a $500 cpu as a workstation, does that mean I NEED a $1000 gpu?

You have to do research, especially into the specific tasks that are most important to you. If you want to game, first look at a gaming card that will give you acceptable performance(based on numerous online reviews/benchmarks), then design your build around it. I think this concept applies to pretty much anything, from buying a house, to screw driver.

Typolo

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I say the percents are rubbish because they overgeneralize.
I commonly heard that from a gaming rig should have about 25% of the total price in the gpu.
Cryptocurreny rigs should have as close to 100% of the funds to the gpus as they can.
And an office pc should probably have as close to 0%.
But then again those are just general parameters that can likely not apply. But they can be usefull for a beginner to understand budgeting the build.

oczdude8

Distinguished
I never look at price as an indicator of performance. Just because something costs more, it doesn't mean its better.

and the percentages are meaningless. It depends on what the system is for. If im building a system with a $500 cpu as a workstation, does that mean I NEED a $1000 gpu?

You have to do research, especially into the specific tasks that are most important to you. If you want to game, first look at a gaming card that will give you acceptable performance(based on numerous online reviews/benchmarks), then design your build around it. I think this concept applies to pretty much anything, from buying a house, to screw driver.

Solution