"E:\ is not accessible, access denied"

Josevidal1970

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
I took apart a 1 TB external hard drive and added it to my PC. I was able to read it at first, but now I get this "E:\ is not accessible, access denied" message. I even took ownership of the drive and I still get the same error message!

Solution
Your other option would be to put it back in its enclosure (if it works OK) and backup your data. Once this is done you can connect it internally again if you want to and reformat it, to see if that fixes things up.
Hey there, Josevidal1970.

What was the reason for you to take the drive out of its enclosure? Did you have any problems with it? Usually this is not really recommended. You might have damaged it somehow.
I'd recommend that you give it a go with a different computer if possible, or at least with a different SATA port and cables on yours, to see if the same thing happens. If you don't need to recover data you could download its manufacturer's diagnostic tool in order to test it for errors and/or bad sectors and see if anything alarming pops-up.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Josevidal1970

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

I'm gonna try that Boogieman I'l come back & let you guys know how it went

Josevidal1970

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

I typed exactly what you posted and I got this:

C:\Users\Joe>chkdsk E:/r /f
Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

Josevidal1970

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

I was just tired of having to move it back & forth. So I carefully took it apart and made sure all connections were good. When I go to the properties, I am able to view file icons but not the files itself.