E:\ is not accessible, access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Windows 7 can't see my drive. I got a larger sata hard drive. I just wiped it with acronis software. Why does windows not permit access?

I can't see my C: drive or E: drive in windows under disk drive management. How do I get it back?

MagnusLord

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I had installed a new drive, as old one was 95% full, new install of windows to use new drive as main (SATA3 better than old one SATA2), then got black screen of death on old drive at log in, safe mode also black. also had access denied when looking from new drive. so could not gain access to old data which I had not transferred over yet! back up was a month old but able to recover a w7 on the new w8 system. but wife not happy at loosing past month of camcorder video.
This thread helped, ownership of drive was problem. PDF on one of the answers was great, it did need adjusting for w8 layout but I managed to figure it out.

Thanks

also wondering if it might help with black screen on old drive (find out when I reboot and try it out)

Christian Doma

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014
When Drive D,E are not accessible, you should take a look to the properties of the drive who is not accessible, then go to the Security tab, under Group or User name:(box) take a look if (Authenticated Users & SYSTEM) are present, if not you should try this one:
1. Under security tab you will see the icon (Edit) that is below Group or user names box, click...
2. click the icon (Add), then enter this word exactly (Authenticated Users) after that, click again the icon (Add) to add another, then enter this word exactly (SYSTEM).
3. Change the permissions for authenticated users of the two added name, then make sure that "Full control" is checked.

Hope this solution will help you...

cheesus90

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I was facing the exact same issue just now. I followed the steps to take ownership and grant permission.
It worked and I was able to access my drive but all the data had been wiped away from it.
How is that possible? .. Im still in shock ... just lost years of backup.

Why did it format itself? How did the drive take away my privileges without it being in my knowledge ?

shit...

Shaink

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014

If all else fails, try 'Zero Assumption Recovery'. It has rescued me more than once.

EngrYomi

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks to pjmelect.
His advice/suggestion through the link
'http://www.preyerplanning.com/take-ownership-of-entire-..." work for me.
I now have access to my F:\ drive content.

jamok99

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

First off, altho I wasn't the 'asking person' (I arrived here by googling how to take ownership of a partition - something I've googled and attempted for *years* without success), I want to thank the responders for presenting some solutions that actually were understandable and made some kind of sense. (Actually, some of the steps in the first one actually made no intuitive, much less intelligible sense. But just following what he said should do it -- I am about to try it.)

And I know this may not be proper, but I just have to get it off my chest: I'm a middling above-average tech knowledge user. Until now, I have *never* seen anything that made any sense in terms of what permissions are, how to use them, how to take ownship, etc. etc. You'd think that after the train wreck Vista was, the people at Microsoft might rethink making these things major provisions for the average home user. But no, it continued into Windows 7 at least, and after all these years (yes, I started with DOS as my OS) it has *never* been a comprehensive subject. But (and I'm really not telling you tech people anything you don't already know) it's about as simple as this. You leave your house. In the Internet of Things, the door automatically locks behind you to provide 'security' for your house, should anyone else try to enter. Except when you come back, the door refuses to let you back in. It's never clear why it's locked you out, or how to fix it. Sometimes it will hint at long, arcane explanations of how to get in, but they're all in the tongue of Australian aborigines, and you don't happen to speak that language. This happen *especially* when you're trying to open a file made on another computer - such as trying to mount an Acronis backup that was made on another computer, and you get the 'drive X is 'inaccessible' and no other info. So you throw away all your hard work, and you're screwed because the backup is now useless and you've lost all your information.
The software engineers who designed this scheme that is deadly toxic to the average user are beyond ignorant. In my book, they're absolutely dispicable.
And my last thought, which I know is inappropriate, and I hope I don't get permanently banned from Tom's Hardware as it is the lifeblood of my knowledge, rather I hope just this post gets removed, but I cannot help but say it:
I don't know if Bill Gates has any children. But he ought to be castrated - just to make sure. End of rant. Forgive me.

Status
Not open for further replies.