[SOLVED] E Key Not Working, Switched Keyboard -Still Not Working?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus255

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
My MacBook "e" key stopped working,

Didn't work in recovery drive either + Worked on external keyboard so deemed it a hardware issue.

Ordered keyboard replacement,switched it , booted and still no "e" button functionality?! (Also sound not working anymore after the replacement + screen flashes repeatedly for about a minute after initial boot then goes back to normal, any ideas why?)

I'm stumped at this point can it be an issue with the motherboard?

Also , strangely, after booting into recovery and testing it in terminal - right away "e" one after another with out me doing anything and wouldn't stop until I clicked another key. At which point "e" would not work when pressed.?

please help thank you!

Solution
Does it work in Safe Mode? When you boot up, Hold the SHIFT key until the Apple Logo appears, then try it.

PRAM Reset: When you press the power button, hold CMD+ALT+P+R keys, the machine will reboot - you want it to reboot atleast 3 times before releasing the keys. Then give it a go. Does it work?

SMC Reset:

If the battery is nonremovable
Shut down the Mac.
Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac
If the battery is removable
Shut down the Mac.
Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the...

Wups

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Does it work in Safe Mode? When you boot up, Hold the SHIFT key until the Apple Logo appears, then try it.

PRAM Reset: When you press the power button, hold CMD+ALT+P+R keys, the machine will reboot - you want it to reboot atleast 3 times before releasing the keys. Then give it a go. Does it work?

SMC Reset:

If the battery is nonremovable
Shut down the Mac.
Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac.
Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time.
Release all keys, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac
If the battery is removable
Shut down the Mac.
Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the Mac.
Remove the battery. (Learn about removing the battery in MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.)
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
Press the power button to turn on the Mac.
The LED on MagSafe power adapters might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

As for the flashing screen, ensure ALL cables are connected correctly. It may be connected, but not connected correctly.
Let me know how it goes.

- Wups.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS