E-Sata Daisy Chain?

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I don't think e-Sata can be daisy chained? Can anyone confirm this for me?
Will it make a difference (as far as daisy chaining is concerned) if I'm using 3Gbps e-Sata II instead of 1.5Gbps e-Sata?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
SATA and by consequence eSATA is specifically designed to work in a one drive one cable model. Technically eSATA was an afterthought brought into existence because USB and Firewire couldn't provide the same data bandwidth as SATA. There are recent developments that allow the use of SATA port multipliers, but the motherboard or SATA card has to support it and I don't know if that also applies to eSATA ports or how you would power a multiplier like that.

Mekugi Ana

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
SATA and by consequence eSATA is specifically designed to work in a one drive one cable model. Technically eSATA was an afterthought brought into existence because USB and Firewire couldn't provide the same data bandwidth as SATA. There are recent developments that allow the use of SATA port multipliers, but the motherboard or SATA card has to support it and I don't know if that also applies to eSATA ports or how you would power a multiplier like that.

Solution

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
SATA port multipliers? Is this similar to a SATA hub, internal or external?

If you're talking about a close proximity external hub ("multiplier"), would a machine (specifically an Apple Xserve unit) with a second 750w power supply be a possible solution to power it?