Question E3-1275 lga 1151Heatsink and Fan

Sep 7, 2022
Hello looking for recommendations on heat sink and fan for the titled CPU. See so many and don't need the RGB stuff since they are going in a Optimax 790 MiniTower. With a lot of cheap stuff out there not sure of a good reliable ones but same time not bust the bank ones since I am doing 5 for my kids computers.
Thanks for any help and feedback
Semper Fi

Sep 7, 2022
So this is the inside of the computer. Looks pretty roomy. Yes this is a CPU upgrade for the kids computers. Its like only a 20% upgrade but for now thats all they need till either I win the lottery or find a good ponzi/blackmail scheme lol. Joking. Joking.
CPU
PCI Slot next to CPU

Two images from inside the case. First one is the CPU now. Looks roomy.
Second image is the CPU and the PCI slot locations.
Thanks.

None of that is the concern. The concern is always the height, so basically the distance from the exact top of the CPU to where a cooler would encounter interference by hitting the side panel. Best way is to take a string around the tower with the side panel off and measure from the string to the top of the CPU lid with it installed and no cooler on it.

Sep 7, 2022
Damn how big of heatsink/fan you think its gonna need ?
Some research shows the Xeon with lower TDP (76 vs 95) so possible to use the same heatsink/fan ? Being that this setup is and seems to be cooling the higher TDP I5 should keep the E3 cool ?
Thanks for the help and time

It's 95w per the Intel data sheet.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-xeon-processor-e31275-8m-cache-3-40-ghz.html

So yes, a stock cooler from a same socket i5 with a 95 or higher TDP will work fine. If you can find one at a reasonable price that isn't used, which is unlikely, but possible. The price you will likely pay could buy you a much better cooler though, which was the whole point of determining what size cooler the case will support. But go for the stock cooler if that's what you're comfortable with.

Sep 7, 2022
I was going to say No its 77 TDP, but I just went back and looked at the CPU's and they are V1 not V2 which is the ones I wanted. Damn it. So yea 95.
My reason for going that way was I already have them from the OG CPU and wouldn't need to drop more cash and could start the change outs immediately.
However I rather have reliability in the CPU cooling more than saving a few bucks. So guess I will measure that distance.

Well, there's at least a chance that both versions use the same cooler, because Intel used the same cooler for YEARS for many models that came with stock cooling. So you might want to do a little homework and find out what the exact model is you have and what the exact model that came with the CPU would have been, and see what all CPUs it is sufficient for. Not a lot of difference really between a 77w TDP processor and a 95w TDP processor, and the fact is that it's well known these TDP values are bunk anyhow since those are baseclock TDP assessements and have no basis in reality when it comes to the power consumption of the CPU when you factor in increased power consumption from it's turbo boost processes.

What is the exact model of the cooler and what is the exact model of the CPU?

Sep 7, 2022
So got side tracked for a while. Finally got around to getting into the kids computers and took the fan / heat sink off.

View: https://i.imgur.com/KItN9lA.jpg
Fan on it
View: https://i.imgur.com/ru5TGJQ.jpg
Heat sink
View: https://i.imgur.com/6mQwG6L.jpg
Side view

They seem to run fine. Quiet and smooth. No herky jerky start up or anything so if possible like to use them for the XEON E -1275 3.4ghz CPUs.
The old CPU is a I5-2500. The other 3 I am doing are I5-2400. Yea not much upg but for now it will do for them.

If this isn't big enough what would be and is there a specific name for this type. I haven't done any CPU updates since the 486Dx-66/ Pentium 1 days. So been a long long time. lol

Thanks.

Last edited: