[SOLVED] E3 v3 Xeons with Graphics?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I was always under the impression that Xeon CPUs came w/o an iGPU. But lately I'm reading that the E3 v3 (Haswell era) Xeons with a "5" at the end have graphics. The Intel spec site I found also seems to indicate that's the case, but I want to be sure before I purchase one. Can any one that owns one verify that?

It depends on the exact CPU model you are talking about. WHICH Xeon CPU, EXACTLY, are you referring to?

If the Intel ark.intel.com specifications page for that CPU says it has integrated graphics, then it HAS integrated graphics. I've never found anything wrong with the specs listed on the Intel product specifications pages and I reference them often and for a lot of years, so I wouldn't expect this to be any different.

You'd best make sure you're planning to use it with a motherboard that is also the right socket, chipset and that HAS video outputs onboard, because not all of them do when you start looking at many of the workstation or enterprise motherboards.

logainofhades

Titan
I was always under the impression that Xeon CPUs came w/o an iGPU. But lately I'm reading that the E3 v3 (Haswell era) Xeons with a "5" at the end have graphics. The Intel spec site I found also seems to indicate that's the case, but I want to be sure before I purchase one. Can any one that owns one verify that?

Yes E3 Xeons that end in a 5, or a 6, in the case of the refreshed v3 Xeons have IGP. Those that end in 0, or 1, do not.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks guys (I'm assuming). I'm looking at the E3-1245 v3 in particular. Going to put it in an Asus B85M-G R2.0 motherboard to replace a i3-4160. I will use an RX-5500 XT for gaming, but I will want to be able to move the card to another computer when needed. So, I'll want the Xeon to have an iGPU for those times.

Since the Xeon is about $20 cheaper than the equivalent i7 on the used market, I figured I'd go that route.