E4300 24-hr Stability?

InterSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I'm having problems getting my system to pass a 24-hour or longer stability test with Orthos with a 3ghz+ E4300 overclock on air.

At 362x9, I was able to pass a 6 hour Orthos-CPU stress test, or 6 hour Orthos Memory test but when doing blended testing it would fail after 7-8 hours. I tried upping the vCore some more but it doesn't seem to be helping. The tests didn't seem to fail on certain FFT size, indicating it was a CPU or memory problem so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Do I need to up my memory voltage even though I'm not specifically oveclocking it? It's rated for 400fsb, and I'm only around the 350-365fsb range.

The only thing I can think of to do is run Memtest for a day to rule out any memory issues for sure, then go back to upping vCore. But it's already pretty high in the 1.42v range.

Temps on load are around 65c in TAT, but 40c/55c in CoreTemp/Speedfan.

Any insight from experienced OC'ers is appreciated =] Thanks!

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
I'm having problems getting my system to pass a 24-hour or longer stability test with Orthos with a 3ghz+ E4300 overclock on air.

At 362x9, I was able to pass a 6 hour Orthos-CPU stress test, or 6 hour Orthos Memory test but when doing blended testing it would fail after 7-8 hours. I tried upping the vCore some more but it doesn't seem to be helping. The tests didn't seem to fail on certain FFT size, indicating it was a CPU or memory problem so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Do I need to up my memory voltage even though I'm not specifically oveclocking it? It's rated for 400fsb, and I'm only around the 350-365fsb range.

The only thing I can think of to do is run Memtest for a day to rule out any memory issues for sure, then go back to upping vCore. But it's already pretty high in the 1.42v range.

Temps on load are around 65c in TAT, but 40c/55c in CoreTemp/Speedfan.

Any insight from experienced OC'ers is appreciated =] Thanks!
You're in a dead zone for the FSB. Most errors occur in this sub-400 range. Set the mem divider @ 1:1, and try 7x405. If that works nicely, bump the multi to 8x to get 3200. 1.42 is not high voltage. the 4300 has a higher vCore to start with, I think 1.3v. You can easily run up to 1.5v.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
You can easily run up to 1.5v.

I would never run any thing close to that vcore for an extended period of time.

Edit: RJ I just read that thread at the bottom of your sig and that is very interesting. I did not know about that kind of stuff before. Thank you very much. I can not thank you enough.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
You can easily run up to 1.5v.

I would never run any thing close to that vcore for an extended period of time.

Edit: RJ I just read that thread at the bottom of your sig and that is very interesting. I did not know about that kind of stuff before. Thank you very much. I can not thank you enough.
Considering that the Core2 Duo throttles back the voltage and multiplier at idle or low workload, it's not going to spend the bulk of it's life @ 1.5v

No prob on the link site. I was turned on to it recently, which is why I went and put the link in my SIG. It squared my situation away immediately, so I figured there were others pulling their hair out over it too.

InterSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
You're in a dead zone for the FSB. Most errors occur in this sub-400 range. Set the mem divider @ 1:1, and try 7x405. If that works nicely, bump the multi to 8x to get 3200. 1.42 is not high voltage. the 4300 has a higher vCore to start with, I think 1.3v. You can easily run up to 1.5v.

Ah, alright. I was under the impression FSB deadzones only stopped your system from POSTing. I can't get past 400fsb... probably because my memory is only DDR800 or because I'm using air cooling. I can POST at 390fsb (Orthos fails in 1-2 hrs), but aside from that anything above 374 will fail to POST.

I saw someone posted settings they had with good Orthos results, and am trying 358x9 @ 1.425v. It's going on 8 hours stable in a Blended Orthos test. I think it's just being fickle about vCore and I didn't have it high enough earlier.

I still find it odd that it would pass a 6 hour CPU Stress test, but fail 2-3 hours into a blended one. I ran memtest the other day for 24h with no probs so I doubt its my RAM. /shrug