Question E5 1680 V2 issues (stock and OC)

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
So I am having an unusual issue while trying to install a new CPU. I replaced a i7 3930K with a E5 1680 V2. While doing my benchmark suite I noticed some weird points of instability at stock that get exaggerated when an OC is attempted. To put it simply if I leave turbo frequencies enabled at stock settings the system will crash in a couple of unique situations. If I turn off my TV (ie my PC is connected to an Onkyo receiver then to a 4K TV) and turn it back on again it appears to crash the video card (currently not overclocked either) if and only if my CPU is under load while turboing higher then 3.1ghz. if there is no load or it in only at 3.1ghz or less the TV turns on fine and I still get a video feed. So as you can imagine any over clock above 3.1 ghz causes the same issue even though the OC is stable with multiple benchmarks/stress tests (save one, sandra). Now I can switch between inputs and all that and still have a video signal at any turbo frequency and CPU load. It is only when turning the TV off I crash completely.

Now for the other oddball. Sandra sisoft benchmark suite crashes the CPU regardless of settings. Stock or otherwise. At stock I can get it to "sometimes" pass but not all the time. Yet intel burn test on maximum for 5 hours is rock stable, same for prime 95 (8 hours), aida64(5 hours), furturemark, memtest86...to name a few whether I am at stock or up to 4.3ghz (haven't found a stable 4.4ghz setting yet).

So my point is what am I missing? Do I just have a bad CPU or is there a setting I am missing? listed below is my overclock settings...stock settings mentioned above are well stock. Both OC's listed have been done with and without ram OC if Ram is OC'd it is DDR3 2400 cl10 T1 with 1.65 volts at "stock" it is running DDR3 1333 CL 9 T2 1.5 volts. OC temps are ≤ 62C

sync all cores
core ratio 43
Vcore 1.21
VTT 1.15 (went as high as 1.18125)
VCCSA 1.050
CPU spread spectrum disabled
PCIe spread spectrum disabled
C states disabled
Speedstep disabled
LLC ultra high
CPU current capability 180%
VCCSA LLC High
VCCSA Current Capablilty 130%
Dram Current Capability 140%

Basically I followed this guide aiming for a 4.4 ghz...

I also did my "own" semi stable OC and it looks more like this

sync all cores
core ratio 43
Vcore 1.21
VTT auto
VCCSA auto
CPU spread spectrum disabled
PCIe spread spectrum disabled
C states disabled
Speedstep disabled
LLC ultra high
CPU current capability 180%
VCCSA LLC High
VCCSA Current Capablilty 130%
Dram Current Capability 140%

Am I missing something or do I have a bum CPU??

Last edited:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
So a little update. Further testing is showing even at 3.0ghz (turbo disabled or on both) turning off the TV still can crash the video card/PC. Though it is less likely to do so when at 3.0ghz. Also I found after using DDU that the standard VGA driver does not crash when I turn the TV off ever, OC'd or not... the system has exactly the level of stability I want though minus my nvidia drivers for my GTX 1080s. I have tested a few nvidia drivers now (ddu run between each one) and see that it is multiple versions of their driver that is crashing me as far as I can tell. An Event ID 41 task catagory 63 helped point me in this direction in event viewer...that or a hardware failure but the issue is local to only the E5 1680 V2 and not my i7 3930K so I am not yet leaning in that direction. I am fairly close to a reinstall of windows at this point. My i7 being 100% stable at up to 4.6ghz has thus far prevented me going down that route.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
So another update....I have narrowed things down even further. After digging through my video settings I found the culprit for video crashes and it blew my mind what it was. HDR....Enabled via windows crashes me if I turn off the TV and back on. Disabled in windows but using 4:4:4 subsampling in the nvidia control panel (another way on my set to enable HDR)...and everything is just fine. So yeah, "windows HDR bad, Nvidia HDR good" to put things in caveman. I never would have guessed. Anyways that just leaves me sandra sisoft which I may just be forced to live with but I will keep trying an updating as I find fixes, or not so you all can learn from my week long headache. Also if anyone has some solid HDR expertise to help me work around the issue better then I have I would love to hear from you.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Ok finally wrapped up my issues. Sandra Sisoft apperantly does not like Fastboot with my Xeon (works fine with the i7). I had tested Fastboot both enabled and disabled prior in UEFI BUT it was still enabled in windows which I didn't notice. Once both UEFI and Windows versions were killed, Sandra Sisoft ran with no issues. So at this point I beleive I have myself stable at 4.3ghz if the previous attempts were correct (minus the bugs I fixed). I am going to run intel burn test for 20 runs on maximum which comes out to just over 5 hours to be sure.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Well I managed to get 4.3ghz stable...required a voltage boost to 1.3v but temps are still sub 62-65C (1.3V temp depending on the run) as it was hotter today inside to boot. Only Sandra sisoft needed 1.3V every other bench/stress test was stable at 1.24V which was still a little higher then before. But I'll take a little more voltage with those temps to keep everything rock stable.

TRENDING THREADS