E5-2699 v3 : NewEgg price $4,500 / Ebay used price $1,000. Possible or scam?

I have a friend who is an artist and animator. He's self employed, so he can't afford to buy a five figure Dell workstation. I noticed that there are many sold listings on Ebay for used E5-2699 v3 CPU's selling for $1,000 to $1,500. Some of them are located in Hong Kong, and many are in the US. Several of the US ones are labeled as engineering samples. Is this all too good to be true?

Ideally, it would be great if he could get two CPUs for $2,000 and add a minimum of 128 GB of RAM on an appropriate motherboard.

Solution

if your on a budget go for the e5 2670s right now they are $70 on ebay and i can confirm from buying many they are not a scam. two of those in a righ with a ton of ram and you should be good and way under budget.
scam, no xeons have a significant markup from retailers because they are enterprise chips, however avoid ES (engineering samples) they should run fin but they are a much earlier rev of the production chip most of the time so thay can be buggy

Gotcha. I guess it falls under the category of too good to be true. Okay, in that case I think we'll just wait on the Broadwell-E i7-6950X, and that 10 core (20 thread) CPU will have to do. My hope is that the release of that new Intel line will also bring another suite of X99 boards that have added features, such as 2-3 M.2 sockets, etc.

if your on a budget go for the e5 2670s right now they are $70 on ebay and i can confirm from buying many they are not a scam. two of those in a righ with a ton of ram and you should be good and way under budget.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS