e5470 screen so dim almost black. FN+F8 shows max, bios shows max, adaptive brightness off. Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Hey guys,
I have an E5470 with what seems to be a almost black dim screen that wont lightup. I suspect its a backlight problem. This is on a unit that i just got a brand new LCD online to replace the old one that would not even turn on. With the new LCD at first plugged in it seemed fine, typical brightness on. Then after maybe 5 or 10 minutes it went dim. I actually ordered 2 brand new replacements, so tested the second one. Same thing, so dim almost black. I have to imagine the problem is coming from the signal of the motherboard or could it even be the cable??

Just to clarify what i've already done/tested:
-Yes it is this dim in bios, not just at windows.
-Bios says brightness is at max
-Windows has adaptive brightness turned off
-I've updated the Bios to latest version, no change.
-I've installed the latest intel drivers and the latest delll R7 Driver (this unit has a radeon R7 Video Card).
-The cable that goes from the LCD to the motherboard is the type that only has one connection on both sides with the metal hinge that closes over on the LCD side and the snap in type on the motherboard side. There is also an additional cable going to the webcam from this cable. There is no separate cable for ground or additional power.

Specs: Dell E5470 i7-6600u 16gb (1x16gb) DDR4 Crucial X300 525gb SSD 15.6" 1080p panel

Anyone have any ideas? I have the unit partially put together so changing things is easy right now if needed.

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

What part is the inverter? Is that on the motherboard, the cable, or the LCD? If it's on the LCD i want to remind you i've tested 2 brand new panels both with the same issue.

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
As a follow up i did some research and it appears that there is no inverter on this laptop / LCD. There is only one video related cable connected between the motherboard and LCD.

Luv2eaturkitty

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Did u already fix the problem? If so wat was the problem??? I replaced my screen on my hp n like u it worked fine for about 20 minutes thn went dim...i cant figure it out...

What part is the inverter? Is that on the motherboard, the cable, or the LCD? If it's on the LCD i want to remind you i've tested 2 brand new panels both with the same issue.[/quotemsg]

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

[/quotemsg]
I did not ever find the solution to this problem. I have 2 or 3 of these really expensive laptops with the same issue and theyre just collecting dust right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.