E6400 running too hot I think

G

New build as of last week, I am using SysTool v1.0 Build 728 to monitor my Core temps for my CPU. As in my sig I have an E6400. I have what I think seems to be excellent case cooling 2 intake fans in the front, one side with a funnel on the CPU and 2 rear fans.

Air flow is excellent and the temp of the air exiting the case seems actually cool, temp wise.

I am fairly sure the Stock HSF is mounted correctly.

The temps are Core-1 55 and Core 2-57 at idle.

Any suggestions ?

PS: I just did the temp on my X800XT and it is running 48 C idle.

G

Most likely the HSf is not making proper contact even if you feel it does...

Removing the side, blowing air directly can tell you if something is not right with your case airflow.

I would remove the HSF, clean it up nicely and re-apply thermal paste.

G

What temps should I be getting here roughly ? If I re apply thermal paste and seat the fan again perfect just so I know what temps to look for.

PS: I do a lot of gaming so I want the best performance I can get out of it.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
That is too hot for your Conroe processor running idle. You should be idle around 30 to 35 Celsius.

What is your heatsink? Intel Boxed?

If it the Intel boxed then you have not correctly seated the heatsink.

You will need to remove it and re-seat it. Don't forget to used new thermal paste.

Recommended way to seat an Intel heatsink preferred. Have motherboard out of case and place on a piece of soft foam. Ensure all of the black center pegs are full pulled up. Make sure that slot on the black plastic part points towards the heatsink. Place the heatsink with grease the processor and gently wiggle the heastsink left and right. This is to set the pegs into the holes. Next is the part that most people get wrong. Take two opposite black posts and press down firmly until you hear 2 clicks. Repeat with the opposite pegs. Next flip the board over and verify that all 4 black pegs are through and even with the 2 white stacks. If the white stakes have not gone all the way through the board then heatsink is not seated properly and you need to repeat the procedure.

This can be done with the board in the chassis but you will be unable to verify that you have the heatsink properly seated.

G

Ok I just re seated the HSF with new compound and its still the exact same temps on the cores. BUT I think I found the problem. I have the P5PE-VM and I think running the RAm at 400mhz overclocks the CPU to 1066 mhz FSB. Since you usually need 533mhz FSB to achieve that with the C2D chipsets out.

Let me know what ya think on my conclusion.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Ok I just re seated the HSF with new compound and its still the exact same temps on the cores. BUT I think I found the problem. I have the P5PE-VM and I think running the RAm at 400mhz overclocks the CPU to 1066 mhz FSB. Since you usually need 533mhz FSB to achieve that with the C2D chipsets out.

Nope. I run 1066 w/34, 35C at idle without issue. loaded I still don't get near 54C with an x6800. What ram u using?

Have you tried to reset you MB to the default and then checked the temps (i.e. no OC or over-voltage anywhere)?

G

Ok under full load my Cores are at 72 c and 74 c
The GPU is 61 c

Are there core temps anything to worry about ?

Anyone else with the P5PE-VM have any temp results

G

Nope. I run 1066 w/34, 35C at idle without issue. loaded I still don't get near 54C with an x6800. What ram u using?

Have you tried to reset you MB to the default and then checked the temps (i.e. no OC or over-voltage anywhere)?

What mobo you running?

And I am running 2 x 1G 400mhz Kingston KVR400X64C3A/1G memory modules

G

Well I went into the bios and the only thing out of the norm was that I had the memory to performance mode, I tried it without that and still the same temps.

Joke... what mobo and HSF are you using ??

G

Ok under full load my Cores are at 72 c and 74 c
The GPU is 61 c

Are there core temps anything to worry about ?

Anyone else with the P5PE-VM have any temp results

How much Vcore are you running on the CPU?

varies in cpu-z from 1.24 - 1.37

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Well I went into the bios and the only thing out of the norm was that I had the memory to performance mode, I tried it without that and still the same temps.

Joke... what mobo and HSF are you using ??

Mobo is D975xbx2 amd HSF is Thermalright si-128 + really slow and quite 12cm fan - I go for quite! U have something out of order. My 'STOCK' system never ran over 38c while idling and 60c REALLY lloaded.... Warning, you are smoking something in your system...

G

OK OK OK

I was starting to worry and was thinking something MUST be wrong here. So I downloaded Asus Probe for my mobo and ran it.

My Cores are running 33-35 at idle. I thought something was strange when SysTool was only showing my CPU fan working at 40% and still that hot.

WHEW, I feel much better now.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
OK OK OK

I was starting to worry and was thinking something MUST be wrong here. So I downloaded Asus Probe for my mobo and ran it.

My Cores are running 33-35 at idle. I thought something was strange when SysTool was only showing my CPU fan working at 40% and still that hot.

Another GIGO problem solved!!!

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
OK OK OK

Still you need to run coretemp or Intel's 'thermal analysis tool', so we can make an apples to apples comparison. Then you should idle close to 40+- load 50+-

G

Ok Intel analysis shows 43 idle and 61 full load.

Core temp beta 0.94 shows the exact same as intel at 44-46 temp idle.

Thanks for all the help guys.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
CoreTemp is considered the gold standard for measuring core 2 duo temps. There are problems with many of the tools out there.