E6400 vs. AMD Phenom 8750 Triple Core

G

Here are my specs

E6400 C2D CPU
Asus P5W DH Deluxe( has all the bells and whistles but dont use most of them, just got a killer deal)
Kingston 1x2 Gig of Ram DDR2 667MHZ
Evga 8800GTS 512MB Video

I am wanting to get an AMD Triple Core CPU 8750 Phenom with a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard.. I am planning on keeping my current video card.. will probably get some 1066 Ram, to utilize the performance..
I do game alot, playing crysis warhead,CoD4,Far Cry 2,Fall out 3.. and so on.... just single player, no online gaming!

any suggestions would be appreciated!

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
It would be stupid to switch over to get a X3. Either overclock your current chip for free and upgrade your video card. Or get a newer faster core2 and upgrade your video card. If your going to overclock you should get atleast DDR2 800

It would be plain stupid and a waste of money to switch your entire platform over to AMD at this point in time.

oldgreyhead

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
The Asus AI software (you probably got it on your m/b driver disc) is great for easy overclocking in the windows enviroment.

I'm running my E6700 at 3gzh using this no need to do anything in the bios.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
At this moment, with the 6400, I'd say wait and see what will happen.

Within a year the whole playing field will be changed. You can either get the old chips cheap, or get the new chips.

Wait and see what the new 45nm of AMD is offering, what the new i7 will do and how the prices of all others are affected. If there is no pressing matter now, wait for a good deal or a good chip. I know, you can wait until you are old and gray for them to stop, but there are a few moments in the cycle that is a good moment to wait and this is one of them.

G

Thanks for all the input.. i might take a peek at the E8400 possible new board, if mine cant take it.. (which i doubt it can support the newer technolog).

G

ok, i was surprised to see that the P5W DH board supports the E8400.. any suggestions on a video card? i thought 8800GTS was good, but i know there are 1gig cards now.. I would like to stay under $175 if thats possible! i know there are more serious gamers than myself. thanks!

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
In General, Games do not make use of more cores.
Hence the 3rd core will do very little to help

On a clock for clock basis, the 8750 is much slower and will not clock as high. As a result, the performance will definitely be lower for stuff that does not make use of more than 3 cores. For those that do, it may be competitive.

G

roger that! my c2d has treated me very well... but like i mentioned, i am gonna get E8400 and take up someguy7 advice and up my ram to at least 800mhz.. and up too 4gig even though xp does not see it all. but will be there for furture o.s.

salem80

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
i think E6400 work fine with all new games
them recommended specs in all games are C2D 2GHz any kind !
the import thing is the video card .
if u change to ATI HD 4870 1GB ore nVIDIA GTX260 core 216 u will see a bige change in games performance ..
or if u want change only the CPU try Q6600 it compatible with ur MOBO .
U will see alot of changes in all Multi tasks Video convert etc .
And i think it better then E6400 with games (but not too fare ).
And BTW is ur MOBO work fine now ? see customer review in newegg !
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=13-131-025&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Page=1&Keywords=

Sorry for my bad English . :hello:

G

yes thats the motherboard i currently have.. i will look at the 2 cards you specified. thanks!

G

ok, so here is what i think is gonna do me in for!

E8400 with Zalman 9500 Cooling
P5W DH Deluxe M.B. (i am currently using on E6400)
Evga GTX 260 896MB video card
Geil Black dragon 2Gig x2 DDR2800
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Case
I am using a Logisys 575 P.S.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
If your not going to overclock you dont actually need the DDR2 800. Your current ram will run just fine with a E8400 or any core2(except for one extreme with the 1600FSB). What I meant was if you upgraded your ram you could overclock your current cpu to somewhere around 3GHZ.

The new cpu would run in your board with a fsb of 333. Your current cpu is 266. Anything above 333fsb is above the rated speed of the ram. Bah I didnt want to get into a OC convo. Basically if you have no intention of overlocking at all now or in the future dont just buy the ram with the higher numbers. It doesnt make hardly any difference on a intel based system. But at the cost of current ram prices who cares.

G

Maybe then i will keep my current ram for now.. i dont really over clock at all. but maybe in furture!anyone runnin that case i mentioned above? how is the airflow?