E6500 temps with stock heatsink.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hi all, mind if I ask, what's your e6500 temp, on load, stock heatsink?

I'm using the stock heatsink and am getting 70-75 degrees Celsius on load, also with a new application of thermal paste. (2$ paste from ebay)

The CPU does not throttle when its at these temps, i can still play burnout and mw2 at 60 fps steady.

On idle, the cpu is generally 40-45 celsius, because it runs at 1.5 or so ghz.

For the real question, are these temps stable? Is it dangerous to the CPU? Thankyou.

Solution
A slight bend is okay. No motherboards will stay perfectly flat with any heatsink. The heatsinks with the backplate helps to keep it as flat as possible.

Also, here is a good tip. Once you get your aftermarket cooler, if you're going to be moving your desktop (ie LAN parties or packing it to move across town) be sure to remove your large aftermarket cooler. It's weight can crack the motherboard if the case get's moved up and down (potholes, bumps on the road) with enough force.
70 is high but its not too high. What was the brand name of the paste you bought it might be not doing a good job at transferring the heat as it could be. Average temp should be around 60 to 65 at full load make sure you didnt apply to much paste.

Yea thats some weak thermal paste. Heres specs of quality thermal paste I think its just not doing its job of conducting the heat to the sink. I am willing to bet you get some artic silver, or some OCZ freeze and you should see them temps go down 5 to 10 degrees at least.

Artic Silver 5
Thermal Conductance:
>350,000W/m2 °C (0.001 inch layer)
Thermal Resistance:
<0.0045°C-in2/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

As you can see with these specs it requires a much thiner amount to do its job effectively.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
It sounds like your cooler is not seated tight enough. get a flashlight and look at all the push pins. The plastic white mounting that holds the black push pins should be flush against the motherboard. 70 is too high for that CPU unless your case has poor airlfow.

BTW are you overclocking?

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Nah, not overclocking until i get a new heatsink, anyway, whenever I seat the heatsink all the pins go in and are locked in to place, but one always stays a bit loose. If i get all 4 tight it kinda bends the motherboard :S

happens on my friends lga775 also, wierd :S

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

That one pin that is staying loose is enough to cause a thin gap between the heatsink and the surface of the CPU and that's the gap that can trap heat and not drain it away.

Look up youtube on techniques on how to get 4 pins down correctly (cross or star pattern).

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I saw the videos and that's exactly how i do it. Does it matter if the board bends when its in place?
It seems like the pressure of the heatsink pushes that area down and the other areas bend up if i put it on out of the case

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
A slight bend is okay. No motherboards will stay perfectly flat with any heatsink. The heatsinks with the backplate helps to keep it as flat as possible.

Also, here is a good tip. Once you get your aftermarket cooler, if you're going to be moving your desktop (ie LAN parties or packing it to move across town) be sure to remove your large aftermarket cooler. It's weight can crack the motherboard if the case get's moved up and down (potholes, bumps on the road) with enough force.

Solution