e6600 + asus P5b. Mobo doesnt support Core2Duo?

Zano

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
I'm getting my computer I ordered on monday. And I've read that the motherboard doesnt support c2d out of the box? I would very much like to prepare for that eventuality, if my computer wont boot up due to this, how would I go ahead and fix it? Is there anyway I can prepare for monday that would spare me having to wait for a solution?

Zano

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
I'm a pessimist at heart XD
You seem to have a fairly similar system to mine, anything I should think off?

shalpin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I built 2 pc's with the e6600 and the P5b motherboard. Neither of the motherboards workedwith the e6600 because the bios was old. According to what I hear Asus is now producing the P5b with the latest bios so you may not have a problem.

If you do still have a problem Asus has a really cool option that will allow you to flash your bios using a flash drive plugged into your usb slot. You can also use a standard floppy as well to flash the bios. Its was really quite simple to do. If you need further instructions just let me know I'll list out step by step how to do it.

PS it does require you to have another pc to create the floppy or copy the bios to yor flash drive with the newest bios.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Get the latest bios revision on a flash drive and flash the bios if it doesn't work. I recently built a e6300 with a P5B for a friend, and we were getting a uCode error. A quick flash took care of the problem.

Don't worry too much, it'll work fine, a bios flash fixes most problems.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I'm getting my computer I ordered on monday. And I've read that the motherboard doesnt support c2d out of the box? I would very much like to prepare for that eventuality, if my computer wont boot up due to this, how would I go ahead and fix it? Is there anyway I can prepare for monday that would spare me having to wait for a solution?

The best part is you don't even have to have an O.S. on the system yet to perform this task. It's all built into the mobo's BIOS. Also, if you still haven't dismantled your old PC use it to copy the BIOS update v509 or later BIOS from ASUS web site at; http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us ,
find your mobo model & the rest is easy like the guys said. I found it to be quite easy having a FLASH drive instead of an old klunky floppy drive.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
What I suggest for most people is to have one of those 1 trillion in one memory card readers that also has a floppy, just in case... those things go for 20 bucks, and the card reader itself would be worth it. Only problem is that I don't know where I keep my floppies...

Zano

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
But!.. If the CPU wont work.. Uhm. I can still flash the bios? I also heard theres problems with RAM due to old BIOS(I realized I should have posted this in general homebuilt, sorry) can I still flash the bios to solve the problem?

neoneucalyptus

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Just go to your local fry's (or whatever your computer store is) and buy the cheapest cheapo Celeron or P4 that is still socket compatible and return it when you're done. Just make up some excuse to explain to them why it is opened already like it wasn't compatible or something.

But I would of course try the C2D first and if that doesn't work, then pop in the old P4. If the P4 does not work for some reason, then there is probably some bigger problem with the board.
You can do the same basic thing with ram but it is more tricky.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
But!.. If the CPU wont work.. Uhm. I can still flash the bios? I also heard theres problems with RAM due to old BIOS(I realized I should have posted this in general homebuilt, sorry) can I still flash the bios to solve the problem?

OK. I've been through hell with my upgrade in the past 3wks with this same old issue & was able to resolve this living nitemare.
Here goes...

1- With the CPU in & the RAM out, turn the system on, don't worry about the BIOS version yet.

2- You should get beeping. This is the motherboard telling ya it's ALIVE!!!! & well & telling you that there isn't any RAM installed. This is GOOD.

3- If you put the RAM back in & you get nothing you have the same problem I had. the RAM is incompatible. SEND it back!
In my case I have OCZ RAM & I called OCZ. They e-mailed me a UPS shipping label. I sent OCZ the new RAM instead of sending it back to ZIPZOOMFLY.COM (cuz they wanted to charge me a restocking fee for returning the RAM). OCZ, as well as many others, are discovering that they have some sort of timing issue with CONROE CPU's & are gladly swapping your new & faulty RAM with freshly re-FLASHED RAM.
Mine came back after 2.5 weeks (the wait was unbearable). In the meantime, since I'm an impatient S.O.B so I went to the local FRY guy & bought two sticks, 512MB each of 5300 BUFFALLO DDR2-667 RAM just to get the system going. Each stick cost me $55.

4- Get you new BIOS update handy on either a Floppy disk or a FLASH Drive (even better).

5- Once the RAM issue is out of the way you turn on your newly rusting rig & reflash the BIOS either from the FLOPPY or USB FLASH drive (if you have one). You DO NEED to have the CPU installed & RAM for this to happen. You don't need your Hard drives connected to do this if you don't want to for the bios update process.

I hope all this helps.

PS: I returned my ASUS P5B & am happy with my GIGABYTE DQ6 Mobo.

Zano

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 Kit

Is there anyway of knowing if this ram is compatible?

Thanks for all you guys help btw ^^

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
You have to see for yourself. I wouldn't know. I only jumped the hurdles for my RAM so that's why I know about this. Contact Corsair or go to their website at http://www.corsair.com or their tech support site @ http://tsxpress.corsairmemory.com/. I hope they are as receptive to you as OCZ was. Good luck dude.

SheenaRamone

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 Kit

Is there anyway of knowing if this ram is compatible?

^^

I am using the 1 Gig kit of this kind of ram with my E6700 on a P5B. It is working great. My only complaint is I can't install Linux because of the JMicron issue of the P5B board. But Windows installed without any problems.