767pilot

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Is there an official driver for the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850?

In device manager under XP the driver details are

Driver provider : Microsoft
Driver date : 01/04/2004
Driver version : 5.1.2600.0

Surely there must be an official Intel driver? I've looked on their website and googled but cant find any info

Are others running the CPU with any different driver?

thanks
Gray

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Not sure what you are getting at here. I don't have any hardware in the device manager that is listed as XP. XP is provided by Microsoft and not Intel. The processor has uCode to make it run successfully. This is included in the Bios. The uCode is loaded at Post.

btdeadend

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Technically, there is a driver for the CPU due to the HAL that Windows uses. If you all look at your device manager you will see that it exists. There is no updated driver IF you are running the most recent Service pack and set of patchs. I dont' believe they have issued any updates for the CPU driver, but you never know...

No CPU manufacturer will write drivers unless their CPU does not conform to the x86 standard completely. It's what allows MS to make windows that runs on different CPU architectures

Get your facts straight before posting snide remarks and calling people idiots. He had a legitimate question considering that people on the forums are always talking about using the updated drivers for everything.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Nice call BT
Just adding to what you said, That driver info is located in Device Manager under Processors.

For all you smart people out there; Don't put someone down for asking what you might now think is a dumb question. We were all new to this at one point.

767pilot

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
The reason I asked is because I have just upgraded from an AMD Athlon 64 4000 and I had an official AMD driver for that. I thought all CPUs had a software driver but at least the sensible and helpful amongst you have helped me out, thankyou !

Why then did you not mention this in your first post?, If you had then I would have been able to at least guess that you meant the optimization patch that some people seem to require for the dual core Athlons.

Its all about the amount of information given mate.

767pilot

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I posted : In device manager under XP the driver details are

Driver provider : Microsoft
Driver date : 01/04/2004
Driver version : 5.1.2600.0

That means within windows XP, under device manager for CPU, I have that information above. Now seeing as I was asking about a CPU driver I would have thought it obvious for the experts such as yourself to determine exactly what I was refering to.

Quote{Its all about the amount of information given mate.)/Quote

I agree, but I would have thought that people who likes to put people down when they ask a question that may have an obvious answer would have understood exactly what I meant.

maybe some people just aren't as clever as they try to make out!

DELETED

randomizer

Champion
No need to go and harass him over it, crikey. Correcting someone and calling them an idiot are two obviously different things. 767pilot your post was a bit ambiguous, but that still doesnt call for alot of these comments.

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
yeh its a fair question you guys should have left it at "Be sure not to use the q6600 driver you could unlock the extra two cores." jeez these forums have changed allot for better and for worse.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Someone asks a question on something they are not sure about because after all this is a discussion and help forum! Insulting other posters has no place on this forum ! :fou:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
All right, thats enough. :non:

This a forum, not some l337 kiddies blog. The guy asked an honest queston.

Nada....that was just mean.....damn funny.....but mean ;) :lol: :lol:

btdeadend- thats for actually addresing the issue

767...dont take it personal. A thick skin helps

everyone else...what, were you born with your wonderous computer knowledge? I dont think so. Everyone everywhere knew nothing at one time, and no one here is anydifferent. No point in being mean to someone asking an honest question.